AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just bought a harmony one and it is pretty sweet. I have a system for awhile now and was using the gyration remote (which still works pretty well) but I was just getting way too many components and needs something to help my wife out (plus I had maxed out the number of commands the gyration remote could learn).

I have this freeware program called remote KC. if you press the "*" button on your media center remote, it cycles through "suspend" mode "mouse" mode and "text" mode. When you are in mouse mode, you can use your remote's number pad to move the mouse up, down, left, right. When you are in Keyboard mode you can input text using your remotes number buttons (like you would for a cell phone). This program was great when all you need to do it type one word into a search box, or you just need to click a single icon.

I don't understand why harmony users do not demand a remote control that can control the mouse. This is not only something that should be the standard, but it is actually VERY easy to do.

So the problem is this, remote KC seems to work with XP. I tried it on my VISTA machine and it is "working" (meaning it cycles through all functions) but it is not doing anything. It uses that macro program autohotkeys (which is also great btw). This post is getting long, but after getting my harmony working great with all 8 programs, the only things I can't get it to do is move my friggin mouse (even rudimentary control) and type.

· Registered
2,890 Posts
you can't just tell us about this free RC app and not link to it.

That sounds perfect for what i need it to do.

· Registered
2,890 Posts
i tried googling... anyhow..

is this app only for media portal or can i use it in media center too?

· Registered
2,890 Posts
thank you, thank you. this app is perfect. saved me from having to get a remote mouse or a media keyboard, its perfect for the occasional times i need to grab th mouse an keyboard when something goes awry.

· Registered
2,890 Posts
its working for me, when i hit *, a blue box comes up on the screen saying "Keyboard Mode" or " Mouse Mode".

Win7 RC.

· Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anezthetik /forum/post/16860092

Has anybody got it working with VISTA...maybe i'll try contacting the programmer, but doubt that e-mail address would work anymore. I hate progress.

if it works in win7 it should work in vista...

just asking here, but if you run the exe file, it wont do anything. you wont know its working until you hit the * on the remote.

have you tried that?

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/16860672

if it works in win7 it should work in vista...

just asking here, but if you run the exe file, it wont do anything. you wont know its working until you hit the * on the remote.

have you tried that?

I have tried everything; including running it in adminstrator mode. When I press the star key, it cycles through all the options, but then it just doens't work(nothing happens). I ended up using lm keymaps and now my harmony remote can handle the pc pretty good... moving the mouse is a little clunky, but good... I can enter in text, and launch some programs (mainly slingbox) with a touch of a button. It took some work, but there are much more options in lmreemote....

· Registered
59 Posts
it works in Vista.

i have used it for 2 years now and it is a life saver.

if you keep it in keyboard of mouse mode while running VMC, you get weird results, but just press * and it goes away.

it has never not worked for me. i disabled UAC and run everything in admin mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.