AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to buy a mac mini to power my audio server and run a usb dac from it into my hifi system. so basically, the mac would be positioned in my audio rack. so my question is: i don't want to buy a 30' long vga cable to run across the floor in my office from the mac (in my hifi rack), to my desk. what are my options for doing this? since i am rebuilding my entire office, i would like to do some inwall wiring to possibly carry the monitor signal over. the only solution i can think of is a vga extender such as this.
http://www.startech.com/item/ST121UT...-Extender.aspx

or
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4448

i have read a few posts of people having probems when using these types of units usually the typical ghosting. not sure if its actually the cable that causes these problems or actual distance.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If video performance is not an issue, then just remote into your mac from your office computer. All macs can be remoted into. If you just want to look mac desktop and do a few things, remote access is the way to go. Also, you can control music on your mac using an iPod Touch or iPhone.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, but the mini will be the only mac i have. my main use computer is a pc running windows xp. can i still log on remotely and view the actual mac screen using a windows pc?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, you can use a VNC client to connect to the Mac assuming you've enabled screen sharing. As long as you have a decent connection speed, it works very well. I run my two minis (one in living room and one in basement) headless.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Anthony, I agree with bommai and greedo, just get the mini on your network and set it up to run headless, enable it to be shared and remotely managed, then VNC in from your PC. If your PC is a desktop, for added flexibility you definitely should pick up an iPod touch, if you don't already have an iPhone or touch, and try the remote application for iTunes, it's wonderful, would be an ideal mobile controller for your situation, and there are even VNC apps for the iPhone/touch as well.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i already have an ipod touch that i use but i was hoping to eliminate it and just run the mac mini with itunes on it and the occasional video stuff. i read a lot about realvnc, biggest issue most mention is speed and, in my case, interent connection (which in my area has frequent drop-outs). i would still prefer to have its own dedicated monitor though. btw, i just bought a mini from ebay 10 mins ago!!!

okay, just kidding. btw, hasn;t macworld already started?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Your internet connection speed has nothing to do with your local network at home. As long as you have a wired network connection with 100Mbps or better network at home, VNC should work great. Also, just use your iPod Touch as a remote control for your Mini.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/15473712

Anthony, I agree with bommai and greedo, just get the mini on your network and set it up to run headless, enable it to be shared and remotely managed, then VNC in from your PC. If your PC is a desktop, for added flexibility you definitely should pick up an iPod touch, if you don't already have an iPhone or touch, and try the remote application for iTunes, it's wonderful, would be an ideal mobile controller for your situation, and there are even VNC apps for the iPhone/touch as well.

The latest issue of MacLife (Feb?) has an article on how to set up and run a Mac from a PC using VNC

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'll check it out. thanks.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
having just read a few articles on the net regarding vnc setup, it seems like a great solution. my only question now would be this. if i have the mac mini running in my hifi setup with no music saved on its hdd (since its quite small), but i have all my music stored on my pc which is the machine that will be running and accessing vnc to control the mini, how does itunes relate to this? specifically, would i need to run itunes on the pc and have its library accessed from the mini similar to sharing or how else would it be accomplished?

·
Registered
349 Posts
You have to put your PC music library on a shared volume visible from the Mac Mini through your local network.

Then import the PC music into the Mac iTunes ("add to library") after UNchecking the "copy into iTunes Music folder" advanced preference; that way, the iTunes catalog will be on the Mini, but the bulky songs will stay on the PC.

Any time you add a song on the PC, remember to add it too to iTunes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what of i only have the one cpu in my my home theather? is thier a way to get my monitor to connect from the office? maybe an wireless connector?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts