AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a thread on this awhile back, but can't seem to find it when I searched.

I've had my 5040 for about 2 weeks. Almost since I got it the remote has been very irratic. It will just stop working. Intially, I rebooted and that seemed to fix it. Today though I tried that and no luck. It doesn't do anything. I even tried a hard reboot. The replay just doesn't seem to recognize the remote at all.

I know it's not the remote because it still controls the TV fine.

I really would appreciate any help. I really like the machine, but from reading some of the threads here it seems to have some problems. I'm seriously thinking of returning it and getting a Tivo.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Not good. Since cold booting didn't work your only recourse would be to replace the disk image which voids the warranty. You should call replay support or return it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
call RTV support...the folks in India will make you go through hoops (unplug all connections for 30 minutes, etc.) before they will issue you an RMA, but as soon as RTV gets your return, they'll ship you another right away. I got a box where the remote didn't work at all...plus I had other RTVs where any of the remotes would work, so this isn't a new issue to them. They send a replacement unit same day...they don't wait to repair the box you send them...so it's quick. And the one I got in return had no blemishes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I talked to tech support today. First guy had me reset the remote which didn't do anything. I called from work and had to try it when I got home. The second guy had me unplug the IR emitter and do a hard reboot. Then replug in the emitter. It then started working again.

I tried to discuss it with him, but it was obvious he was just reading it off a sheet. He had no idea what had happened. I told him it seemed like a software issue and he just kept saying that the remote wasn't sync'd or something like that.

To me it seems like a software glitch. Anyone have any comments?

I'll keep the thread going with updates if it happens again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.