Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My remote stopped working today.

- I tested it with the camcorder-trick (point remote at camcorder, press buttons, see flashes on camcorder screen). Every button works fine.

- If I point the remote at the ReplayTv and hold a button (channel guide), it eventually catches it.

- Tv power button on works fine.

Is my ReplayTv receiver? Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
The replay IR receivers have been known to go bad. I was actually able to "revive" one on a 5040 that was exhibiting the exact symptoms you are experiencing. It involves opening up the unit so, if you are still under warranty, I would suggest you RMA the unit. Otherwise you can try opening up the case and removing the IR Receiver/Power Button circuit board. This requires you to remove the hard drive to get to the 4 screws securing the board. After doing this, I basically wiggled the small silver IR receiver on the front of the board to see if there were any loose solders. I could not find any problems with the solder, so I reseeded the ribbon cable that attaches the receiver to the motherboard. After reinstalling the hard drive and closing the unit up, I have not had the problem for the past 4 months:) I guess I just scared it back to life:D

I also remember seeing a post about getting an IR receiver from Radio Shack and replacing it yourself. Hope you get it back and working, I know how frustrating it is trying to navigate through the menus with a bad IR.

Steve

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
There are quality problems with many of the 5000 IR panels. That's why I offer functional ones at my replay parts web site.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I never would have guessed. I called tech support and they had me reset the remote:

- Press and hold Tv button

- Press and hold Mute button

- Hold both until red light flashes twice

- Release buttons and press 9-8-1 (or was it 9-8-0 ?)

- Try Replay Guide and it worked.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was all set to order parts from Mikeyboy, but I guess I won't need them now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crystaldon
Wow, I never would have guessed. I called tech support and they had me reset the remote:

- Press and hold Tv button

- Press and hold Mute button

- Hold both until red light flashes twice

- Release buttons and press 9-8-1 (or was it 9-8-0 ?)

- Try Replay Guide and it worked.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was all set to order parts from Mikeyboy, but I guess I won't need them now. Thanks again.
Thanks for the info. Learn something new everyday. I never dreamed the problem was due to the remote mainly because the symptom is exactly the same as a defective IR panel.

Now that I've looked in the 5000 manual I see the remote reset procedure. Press TV + mute until LED flash twice. Then press 981.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.