AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. I just received and setup a whole new set of gear. (replacing a 12 year old TV, 10 year old receiver, VCR, 22 year old EQ and a 5 year old DVD player).

I just bought a Samsung 61 DLP, Samsung 931 DVD player, Onkyo ONK HTS760 Home theater system with a Teac six disk CD player. All of this now coexisting with a Sony DirecTivo and will soon have a Samsung 151 OTA HD Tuner.

The wife is scared silly of all the remotes. I need something that I can program to control all of this equipment or at least most of it. Can anyone recommend a remote that will work for us?

All of the equipment is in the same room and in full view. I'd love to have the ability to push one button (i.e. DVD) and have it setup everything (change input on the DLP, change to DVD source on the 931, etc.)

Can you guys help?

Thanks!

Chad Pomeroy

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Chad: you need to give us some more info. How much are you willing to spend? do you want push buttons or touchscreen.

I think the best remotes are

Pronto (if you want touchscreen)

HTM (MX-500,600,700,800)

Harmony

you cannot go wrong with any of those remotes.

You can read more about them http://www.remotecentral.com/remotes.htm

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry!

I can do up to $500 if that helps. I don't think I want to spend $1000 or more for the top top end.

I like the idea of push buttons for rapid pushing without having to look at the remote - although some type of screen for special buttons that could be user denoted would be great.

I kind of like the concept of the Harmony remote (the new one) but worried that it won't do what I need for my combination of equipment.

(set inputs, change parameters, etc.)

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
don't know much about the new one yet SST-659. But I have the Harmony SST-768 and I had the SST-745 and they can definitely take care of anything you can throw at them. One of the things that Harmony removed from the new one is the ability to edit XML, but I think in most cases it should be able to handle your stuff.

The HTM remotes have 10 buttons that are LCD labeled, that means that you can give a bunch of buttons a 5 letter name. The 700/800 is PC programmable and can handle many more macros, so I would definitely recommend them over the 500/600

All the remotes I mentioned are below the 500$ except for a ProntoPro

also, I have a Pronto as well. I find I need to look at the harmony more then the Pronto (using TV guide means things change) while my Pronto I set it up with large separated buttons, so I can go with feal (TS-1000) . Also the new TSU-3000 has a lot more hard buttons.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm reading conflicting information about the Harmony Remotes. On one hand I hear they're great for DirecTivo control, on the other I hear it's tough to move between navigation and other functions. Can anyone that is using The Harmony remote (including the just released one) or MX line of remotes for Tivo control provide a recommendation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's personal preference, they're all great remotes.

The Harmony remote, specifically the SST-768, is powerful and versatile, but takes some getting used to with it's scrolling LCD screen format.

The MX-500/600 has more buttons and a customizable LCD screen, and is very, very popular. It doesn't have the best macro capabilities in the world, but it's still capable of macros like "TV" or "DVD" and setting up your system for those activities.

If you're still stumped after reading reviews, I'd go with the MX-500. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just purchased a MX-600, which includes an RF receiver / transmitter. Great deal at around $250 and works great!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don't overlook JP1 remotes. I was ready to buy a Pronto, MX-700 or similar, but wasn't quite convinced it would do what I wanted it too.

Then someone recommended I try JP1 -- I was scared & skeptical of JP1 remotes, but figured what the heck, I'd only be out $40 worst case. Plus, I'd heard about all these people buying JP1's just to program their Prontos and MX's, so it sounded like I'd probably end up getting a JP1 sooner or later anyway.

Well, turns out that $40 Radio Shack remote with a JP1 cable does EVERYTHING I ever wanted it to! I LOVE this remote!!!

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I recently got a MX-800 and love it. The MX-600 is similar but with less macro and device controls. I've used a Pronto and do NOT like the touch screen (I like to operate by feel). The Pronto looks cool but the HTM remotes are more usable (IMO). With the new MX editor you can import Pronto ccf files (which gives you a huge database of equipment controls).

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
I'd heard about all these people buying JP1's just to program their Prontos and MX's,
that's not true. The only remote that can possibly be helped by a JP1 remote is the MX-500, MX-600 because it is not PC programmable, but if you get irclone makes the 500/600 PC programmable) then a JP1 is useless for it as well.

JP1 adds PC programming to some UEI remotes, any PC programmablle remote does not need an other PC programmable remote.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_R
With the new MX editor you can import Pronto ccf files (which gives you a huge database of equipment controls).
Now THAT is really cool. How exactly do you import Pronto CCF files? The "IMPORT DEVICE" feature in the Editor does not list .ccf as one of "importable" file types.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpedris
Now THAT is really cool. How exactly do you import Pronto CCF files? The "IMPORT DEVICE" feature in the Editor does not list .ccf as one of "importable" file types.

Thanks.
You use the "Universal Browser" feature (the second icon from the right on the top) to import a Pronto CCF, then drag-and-drop a commands from one button in the CCF to another on the MX-700/800.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.