AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the instructions here too about a slow remote "To replace the batteries". Well, the batteries are brand new.

Any suggestions why the remote is so slow responding just to go up and down menu settings, changing recording options, etc...???

Thanks for your help.

New RPT user.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Your unit might be running out of memory. Try deleting all the 'messages', gonig to the menu of all your recorded shows and deleting all of the recording criteria at the bottom of the list. You might find alot of them are defunct.

If you dont mind losing your shows factory reset the thing.

If it is a memory problem that will clear it all out.

I've only owned a showstopper for a few months so maybe get a second opionion on the factory reset part.

icecow

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same problem with a refurbished unit I just received to replace a 5040 that died. I use the same remote that previously worked without a hitch on the old unit, and still controls my TV power and volume correctly, so I agree that it isn't the remote. I have noticed that at some times, the unit responds reasonably, and at others it's just horrible. It does seem correlated with when the unit is recording, but not always so. I'm not running out of HD space, I've only got a few recording criteria, and there are no messages.

A couple other posts I've seen suggested returning and replacing the unit was the way they handled the problem (something I'm not keen on doing again - and maybe this is how I wound up with someone else's slow unit). I'm crossing my fingers that perhaps the most recent software update might help when it arrives, although I have no evidence to support this.

Good luck. If you find anything helps, post it to the board.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also have this problem. Sometimes the remote works fine and sometimes it doesn't seem to be working at all when suddenly my last 5 commands happen quickly one right after the other. I have a 5040 and it is not anywhere near full.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
It can be full, just you're not aware of it. If you've been watching live tv for a while your buffer may be nearing the hd's capacity limit. Don't forget that the buffer is always at high quality. Just press display to see the true free space.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, I know this. :) The thing is, sometimes the remote works great when I have 2 hours left and it's been horrible at 8 hours. And I don't have any messages either. So in my case at least, I don't think this theory is correct. Because it performs differently one day to the next, I know it's not the batteries, and there's no correlation to whether I'm recording or not. I've decided it's one of the unknowable mysteries of my Replay, like why it chose to reboot 30 seconds into recording Manor House last night.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
It can be full, just you're not aware of it. If you've been watching live tv for a while your buffer may be nearing the hd's capacity limit. Don't forget that the buffer is always at high quality. Just press display to see the true free space.

My 5080 is a brand new unit. Just out of the box. No messages. 2 shows set up to record.

It keeps on doing this everyday. No Idea here. It is very frustrating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Selma Bouvier
Yes, I know this. :) The thing is, sometimes the remote works great when I have 2 hours left and it's been horrible at 8 hours. And I don't have any messages either. So in my case at least, I don't think this theory is correct. Because it performs differently one day to the next, I know it's not the batteries, and there's no correlation to whether I'm recording or not. I've decided it's one of the unknowable mysteries of my Replay, like why it chose to reboot 30 seconds into recording Manor House last night.

Mine just locks up without notice. The remote still stops for no reason and then skips 5 lines. Not very happy with that.

Mine also locks up when I try to go to live tv from a recorded show.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've had this problem of slow response for a while using my Panasonic Showstopper remote. I at first thought it was batteries as well. But I think it's the remote control. The reason I feel this way is that I purchased an old 14 hr ReplayTV unit off of e-bay that came with an original remote - one of those horrible Replay remotes with the buttons in places that make no sense (what were they thinking). But this old remote control works and my showstopper one does not. The old remote also doesn't cause my replay to freeze up either.

Today I decided to crack the broken one open. It wasn't much use since the all important select button either wouldn't work or you needed to hold it down forever before the red light came on.

Anyway, what is the goey stuff I always find on the circuit board of remote controls? I can guess that it's a substance used to create the contact between the buttons and the circuit board, but why when I open a remote is it all pooled in one spot and other sections are dry of it? At some past family holiday dinner I took apart my Uncle's cable box remote (because he was whining it wouldn't work) and I found tons of the stuff inside. I at first thought he had spilled something on it - that's how much of it was inside. Anyway, I wiped the stuff off the circuit board and washed the rubber button pad with soap and water and put it back together and the thing worked fine. But on the next visit I had to open it again and there was more of this stuff. Where does it come from? Okay, back to the Showstopper remote. When I opened mine today the gooey stuff was all pooled in the area of the select button. I wiped it off, put it back together and the remote now works again.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My original remote that came with my ReplayTV 3030 was slow to repond for awhile and it got to the point where it literally took me 5 minutes to get it to respond to a command.. I bought a new Sonic Blue remote for 20 bucks and it's working great.. it's so much better than the old remote..

·
Registered
106 Posts
We originally had a Panasonic 27" TV with Showstopper built in. The remote on it worked great.

It died a few months ago and we replaced it with a 5040. The remote is terribly slow. It makes me want my old Showstopper with the featureless 2.x software back.

I've noticed that the remote is better if I stop any playback of recorded or live TV before trying to manuever around the screens with the remote.

I'd like to get my parents a ReplayTV but they'd hate the unresponsive remote.

Daren

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If your Replay is exhibiting this problem, please pay close attention to what I'm about to say:

The sluggishness you are experiencing is NOT normal. In fact, it is almost certain that you have a defective Replay. This topic has been discussed many times on this forum. Do a search and you will see. SONICblue messed up! This problem can be most likely attributed to some sort of quality control issue. Some believe it is the result of a product that was rushed to the market in order to make the Christmas season. Whatever the reason, the fact remains that there are a large number of defective units floating around out there.

My advice to you is simple - exchange the unit ASAP! If you get another bad one - exchange it again! There is absolutely no reason to settle for a unit that does not perform optimally. Trust me, there are plenty of properly functioning 5000's out there, it's just a matter of finding one.

One more thing. Don't let this discourage you. ReplayTV is still the best DVR around. The sad truth is that SONICblue never knew how to properly run the company. They messed up in more ways than one would have thought possible. Fortunately, there is a bright side to this whole mess. We are now at the dawning of a new age for ReplayTV. D&M has arrived just in time to pick up the pieces, and I have every confidence that they will do what it takes to realize the product's full potential. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by emmarie

Anyway, what is the goey stuff I always find on the circuit board of remote controls? I can guess that it's a substance used to create the contact between the buttons and the circuit board, but why when I open a remote is it all pooled in one spot and other sections are dry of it? At some past family holiday dinner I took apart my Uncle's cable box remote (because he was whining it wouldn't work) and I found tons of the stuff inside. I at first thought he had spilled something on it - that's how much of it was inside. Anyway, I wiped the stuff off the circuit board and washed the rubber button pad with soap and water and put it back together and the thing worked fine. But on the next visit I had to open it again and there was more of this stuff. Where does it come from? Okay, back to the Showstopper remote. When I opened mine today the gooey stuff was all pooled in the area of the select button. I wiped it off, put it back together and the remote now works again.
The only "goey" stuff I can think of is the gel used in some capacitors or batteries. Since a battery leak is obvious, I'm guessing that it is from capacitors. If exposed to enough heat the gel expands and will leak. This is not normal and is bad. As the capacitor looses gel it stops working - this means that voltages will get more "out of range" and give greater and greater problems. There was a problem in capacitors from China for about three years (I think) that have ended the life of many motherboards.

Look to see if the leak seems to be around tall cylinders. Normally they have a metal top with a plus etched into the top and they leak from there (not always, but often).

These can be replaced, but it takes someone used to dealing with soldering very small parts - only a good idea if no warrenty and you would throw it away otherwise.

Good luck,

David Stidolph

Austin, TX

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
"The sluggishness you are experiencing is NOT normal. In fact, it is almost certain that you have a defective Replay. "

Well, can you tell us just what exactly IS normal for a 5040? Is it suppose to react as quickly as my TV? Well, my old 3060 never reacted that way either so does that mean I have 2 defective machines? What's the likelihood of that? My 5040 seems just a tad slower than my 3060. I think the main problem has to do with poorly written software codes or slow processors. I know that that they've programmed delays into the system for example if you jump from channel from watching a recorded program or if you watch a DVD from the Replay (BTW, the old 3060 didn't have such a long delay). Everything about the Replay is about slowness....anyone else noticed that?

·
Registered
33 Posts
jcc, this isn't just sluggishness. I had a working 5040, and while it certainly wasn't zippy, it responded to all my commands in a timely manner (1-3 seconds, depending on the action). With my current replay, it will completely miss commands anywhere from 25-75% of the time (it varies a lot), and when it finally does respond, it is noticably slower than my original model.

That said, I do think they skimped on the processor, and there's definately a QA problem somewhere along the line.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, please tell us what to expect with 'normal' operation...

Mine remote is sluggish, however, it is not unbearable. Sometime I find myself pressing buttons, but nothing happens, then (like others have reported) all the commands are quickly executed... but after it "catches up" it flows pretty good, and the remote behaves 'properly.'

It seems that when watching TV for a while, then asking the Replay to bring up the menu, it needs to go and think for a bit (gets ready to show menus, options, etc... all while still recording/buffering), then it is able to show them (and executes all the remote commands that were entered).

Didn't some members of this board state that different hard drives (8MB buffer, 7200 rpm) effect menu performance?

:LB

·
Registered
33 Posts
leobag, what you are describing sounds normal to me. The "broken" units don't catch up, they either never get the commands or they get lost somewhere along the way.

I've seen conflicting reports on the effect of hard drive speed. Some people say it helps, but other places (I may have seen it in the FAQ?) say that it won't help and may just exacerbate heating problems. That might be for older models thoough.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
A properly functioning 5K will not be as "snappy" as a 3K, however it should still respond consistently to the remote. You may experience a slight delay (1-2 seconds), but there shouldn't be a need to press a button more than once. If the unit is really slow to respond or is frequently ignoring your button presses, it's defective. If this is the situation you are faced with, don't waste another minute worrying about it. Return the defective unit and get a new one.

The best way to test if your Replay is defective is by checking how fast you can navigate the menus when the hard drive is busy (i.e. recording/buffering). The defective units tend to behave normally when the drive is idle and start to act funky when the drive is active. A properly functioning unit may slow down a bit when the drive is active, but it will still remain highly usable. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too am having the 'slow response to remote' problem. My first 5040 got the "endless reboot' problem after a month so I returned it. Got this unit back from SB. The remote seems to work great for the first 30 seconds to a minute, then it just gets progressively worse to where it doesn't seem to work at all(actually it seems to work but the delays can be well over a minute sometimes). I have tried my brother's RelayTV remote and it doesn't help with the problem.

I have tried all the suggestions here to no avail.

My question is: "Is it normal for a customer to keep paying the return shipping costs? I haven't gone through this process before so I don't know what the 'standard' is. I didn't mind paying to send the first unit back, but it doesn't sit well with me at this point that I have to pay again, and then maybe again, and again....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dstidolph
The only "goey" stuff I can think of is the gel used in some capacitors or batteries. Since a battery leak is obvious, I'm guessing that it is from capacitors. If exposed to enough heat the gel expands and will leak. This is not normal and is bad. As the capacitor looses gel it stops working - this means that voltages will get more "out of range" and give greater and greater problems. There was a problem in capacitors from China for about three years (I think) that have ended the life of many motherboards.
Thanks for your response. Yes, you're correct in guessing it is not from leaky batteries. Thank God, LOL, since I touched the stuff with my bare hands - It feels like and looks like clear "Caro" syrup - that first time of cleaning it I actually thought my uncle had spilled soda on it - like a Sprite. After your message I decided to call a remote control company (found them on the web) and see what they thought it was. The guy I spoke to was very friendly and accomodating to my purely curious nature - but even with working on thousands of remote controls, he's never seen this gooey gel and has no idea what it could be other than what you stated as a possible cause. He did say that the goo would definitely cause a short and shouldn't be there.

Although I can't truly remember, I don't recall any giant capacitors that could leak this much goo - it's basically a flat circuit board. And I'm still confused as to how I found this stuff in two poorly functioning but unrelated remote controls from two different households. One's my Replay remote and the other is an old Scientific Atlanta cable box remote from the 80's. On the latter I found more of it months after I had wiped it clean. I also find it odd that no one else has seen this stuff. Is it that no one else is taking apart their non/poorly functioning remotes? They're so cheap ya just toss them out?

In any case I'm going to pop it open again tonight and see if I can find a source for a leak. As for my uncle's remote, I've taken it apart and cleaned it numerous times and the thing still works - so if it is a leaking capacitor, it must have a neverending supply of this gel. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and for the suggestion. -em

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.