I built my first HTPC, and it's near completion. The setup is:

1. MB: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H

2. Case: LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C37B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

3. OS: WinXP 32 bit, Media Center edition

Other components:

1. AVR: Sony STR-DG720

2. TV: Samsung LN52A650

3. Cable: Verizon FIOS

I bought a LOGITECH HARMONY 550 remote, and programmed it with the AVR, TV and cable. It works very well.

Now I need to find a remote solution for my HTPC. Not only do I want to control my HTPC with the Harmony 550, I also want wireless (IR?) keyboard/mouse as well.

So, is there an IR receiver that can interact with Harmony 550, and also wireless keyboard/mouse? Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brandon

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realbrandon /forum/post/16948049

I built my first HTPC, and it's near completion. The setup is:

1. MB: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H

2. Case: LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C37B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

3. OS: WinXP 32 bit, Media Center edition

Other components:

1. AVR: Sony STR-DG720

2. TV: Samsung LN52A650

3. Cable: Verizon FIOS

I bought a LOGITECH HARMONY 550 remote, and programmed it with the AVR, TV and cable. It works very well.

Now I need to find a remote solution for my HTPC. Not only do I want to control my HTPC with the Harmony 550, I also want wireless (IR?) keyboard/mouse as well.

So, is there an IR receiver that can interact with Harmony 550, and also wireless keyboard/mouse? Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brandon

There are a couple ways to go about this.

1: Buy a wireless keyboard and wireless ir receiver for an MCE remote. I personally use 3 different IR receivers, 1 for keyboard, 1 for remote, and one for turning the PC on/off IMon.

2: Buy a wireless IR keyboard and program the harmony to emulate keyboard equivalent remote commands. I'm just not sure if the harmony can learn key combos...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Option 2 sounds like the solution I am looking for. Thanks for your help, PanamaMike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike /forum/post/16948148

There are a couple ways to go about this.

1: Buy a wireless keyboard and wireless ir receiver for an MCE remote. I personally use 3 different IR receivers, 1 for keyboard, 1 for remote, and one for turning the PC on/off IMon.

2: Buy a wireless IR keyboard and program the harmony to emulate keyboard equivalent remote commands. I'm just not sure if the harmony can learn key combos...

·
Registered
48 Posts
an extra 2c for you

I've used a Bluetooth and RF for keyboard/mouse combos, and liked the Logitech MX3200 RF and Logitech MX5500 bluetooth the best. They simply work and work well, and have lots of useful programmable buttons. I especially like the MX3200's Zoom features on both the keyboard & mouse for HTPC use if the text isn't readable. I've used the receiver that Morphyne recommended with great results with a lower end harmony (I think it was 670?), and currently use another brand variant with my harmony ONE. They usually have combo deals for 5$ off that remote if you have another piece for hardware to purchase.

Personally, I think it would be easier and more effective to simply purchase the unit Morphyne linked and throw away the remote. IR Wireless keyboard/mouse sets are few and far between, meaning you have to settle for what you can find. Even if you are going for a simple 'look' with only one receiver showing, I've used both of those keyboard/mouse combos from 15 feet with the receiver plugged into a rear pc port- no hiccups. No need for line of sight with RF or BT. I guess I'm saying I don't see the benefit of using solution 2 "trying to make the harmony emulate keyboard equivalent controls" when perfectly good inexpensive remote solutions exist. You just tell the harmony to be an MCE remote and you're set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts