AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some advice on which remote would best suit my needs. Currently I am running a Panasonic 50" Plasma (TC-50S1), Harman Kardon AVR154 Receiver, Comcast HD DVR (with On-Demand) and a PS3. My main conern is getting a remote that will retain the functionality of my Comcast remote (for DVR use, On Demand etc..). I have tried (unsuccesfully) to get both the Comcast remote to operate my reciever and my reciever remote to operate my cable box.. Nothing has worked. I have no immediate plans to add anything else to my system and would not like to spend too much (if that's possible).

Any suggestions? There are so many..

·
Registered
460 Posts
I always suggest a remote in the Logitech Harmony Line. Any of the harmony models should be able to fit all of your needs. How much are you looking to spend? They have various models, most of which come with the same core functionality, some come with some added bells and wistles some with RF, some with just IR tech. Are your components in plain sight? Keep in mind that NONE of the universal remotes will operate your PS3 without a separate adapter such as this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00267S7XW/...SIN=B00267S7XW . So that will tack $60 onto what ever remote you decide to go with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for not providing more detail. All of my components are in sight (within 12 feet). I would be happy to spend $150 on a good remote (even a refurb) if it's worth the extra. I figured I would go with a Harmony. I had a harmony about 4 years ago and it worked quite well.

I looked at an 880 or 890 (what is the diff??), seems like you can get a refurb for around $150. I also looked at the Harmony One, which is like $199 refurb.

Though, it would be nice to spend less than $100. I have read the buttons on the 550 are horrible.

Spending the $60 on the PS3 adapter is not a concern (at this point anyway). Getting the Comcast and Hardon to work on one remote is my main issue.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The main difference between the 880 and the 890 is that the 890 supports RF control where the 880 is IR only. Both are nice remotes with charging bases. You are correct in your price queries. You could grab a Harmony One for around 200, new if you want the color touch screen and customizable activity/device buttons. You could grab a 880 for about $165 (refurbished). But if you wanted to keep it below $100 and are afraid of the 550, there is always the Harmony 670. This is what I have and have had no problems at all, buttons or features, and this can be picked up for around $60 brand new. Or if you are into matching or it is easier to find, you could grab its brother as well in the 676 (it has interchangeable faceplates). Links below...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...0521074&sr=1-1

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
You should just get the PS3IR-500 from schmartstuff.com for $39.95 instead of the overpriced Logitech adapter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts