Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions on a remote. Here details of my set-up:

1. Panny L300 Projector mounted overhead just behind seats.

2. Onkyo receiver, XP 30, and X-box in back of room

3. Room size 13' X 17'

4. 52"X92" Dalite HCCV

5. Want to be able to sit in Berkline recliners facing forward and control Panny projector + receiver, DVD and X-box in back of room.

6. Would like to stay at $300 or less.

7. Dark drapes on sidewalls with matt paint in front and back.

Right now the various IR remotes are a pain in the butt !!!!! I have to turn around and point to control the equipment. I thought RF might be neat but my equipment is all IR.

Thanks

Taj

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
RF remotes work with a base, RF is sent from the remote to the base and then the base sends an IR command to the device.

I think One for all might have some RF remotes, not sure and they should be the cheapest

HTM is coming out with the MX-600 and it is an RF version of the 500, but I don't know how much it will cost.

The Pronto TSU-3000 is under 300$ (around 250) but you will need to by the RF base separately and I think it is more then 100$ so as a package it is more then what you want to pay

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen in some of the "remote" threads that some remotes have stronger IR output than others. If I purchase a remote with strong IR output, then point my IR towards a screen in the from of the room will it bounce back to control the projector overhead and the other AV equipment in the back of the room?

Also, if I go get a RF unit with a base, and place the base near my AV cabinet, do I need a second base to control the overhead projector?

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Projector over head should be OK (depends on the projector as much as the remote) but the equipment in the back might be more of a problem (i.e. things in the way)

Quote:
Also if I go get a RF unit with a base, and place the base near my AV cabinet, do I need a second base to control the overhead projector?
don't know all of them, the Pronto can do both, so you can use IR for the projector and RF for the equipment. I never tried the Prontos RF, but we have Prontos in our conference rooms and the projectors are controlled by bouncing IR of the screen. Also works better then most of the remotes that came with the projectors

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a marantz 9200 which is more than $300. It comes with the RF unit you want... and would note it is a great remote. Has the necessary buttons, the programming language, looks, etc. It can also grow with you as you go multi-zone, or use it for other things.

I personally don't use the RF... I don't like them, they are not as reliable... and most importantly (and frustratingly) they "slow" the remote down... so sometimes they can be confusing or down-right frustrating to use.

I would instead recommend putting the money into an IR repeating system from Extron or the like. They are cheap and easy to install, and just as reliable as using the normal IR remote.

I have these setup throughout my house, and everything works from everywhere.

Also note, there are plenty of products out there for transmitting IR through cable (TV) lines, routing the IR wirelessly (as the RF you noted), and to convert IR to serial (for other controls).

Anyway, checkout www.remotecentral.com for much more discussion on different remotes.

Best,

BigRed

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh, and to answer your qestion on the overhead projector... it would depend on the location. You may be able to use the IR directly from your remote (but that would depend on your seating position and the location of your projector (and its IR receiver)). It would probably be easiest to just run a long repeater (some come with pretty long cables) from the RF base to the projector... but that too would depend on the location of your base to the location of your projector.

You should also know (though you probably already do) RF go through all mediums equally well. You are going to want to need to do some experimenting with the location of your base and your seating location. Things to consider would be... metal objects (any... including heating ducts, vents, etc.)... devices which produce RF and can interfere with the tranmission, travel path, or reception... these things include anything with a coil (TV, high voltage equipment, fans, amps, compressors, transducers, power supplies, etc.)... and lastly anthing that can interfere with RF (such as antennaes, electrical wiring, phones, microwaves, refrigerators, etc.).

BigRed

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of sticking with IR, especially if it is quicker.

I stopped by Best Buy and looked at their IR extensions (repeaters?). They consist of a couple of pyramid looking units that plug in. I was scared off because they had three of them being sold as "open box" - which makes me think they don't work so hot and got returned.

Is there much difference in the quality/performance of these IR repeaters?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Check out the One For All URC-9910 or the Radio Shack15-2117. Both of these remotes come with RF repeaters, which means you can point the remote forwards to control the stuff that's in front of you and you can point the repeater box backwards to control the stuff behind you. The repeater box also comes with an IR blaster that you can use instead if you like.

Both remotes are JP1 compatible, so with a JP1 cable you can make them control all of the devices you currently have and any you might get in the future. Both remotes run about $50 or so.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Specially-designed IR reflectors or reflective surfaces (such as glass doors or even white-painted walls) may give your remote's beam enough bounce to control the stuff behind you.

·
Registered
271 Posts
$49 at RS. Spend another $20 for the JP1 cable to make programming easier and you have a great remote that includes RF and IR. I'm a channel surfer and the speed of the RF is not a factor. It's as qucik as the IR on my SA3100 cable box.

I have my equipment (except my ceiling-mounted projector) in a closet behind me. The RF gets to the base station in the closet and I bounce the IR off the wall in front of me to control the projector that is actually slightly behind me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The things you probably saw at Good Guys or Circuit City are not IR repeaters... they are usually referred to as "IR extenders" and the way they work is by swapping IR to RF and sending to the other unit where it is transferred back to IR. Anyway, don't recommend that, it is probably why they were returned.

Go to Extron, or call a high end stereo shop and tell them you want an IR repeater system. It consists of 3 basic parts:

(1) IR receivers... these are the things that you will place on top of your TV or in a wall (with many different options). They are the equivalent of the little IR receiver that is on all IR controlled devices. $25 each

(2) IR repeaters... this is a box where all the IR receivers connect into. The signals are combined and sent out to the different equipment you have. $50-100 each

(3) IR blasters... these are the things that go from the IR repeater to the different components. $5 each

The basic idea is the receiver sends the data to the repeater, the repeater sends the data to the blasters, the blasters send the data to the component you want.

There is wiring required... but the whole system is NOT that expensive... just a bit of a pain to run the wires... but this would depend on the particular installation.

BigRed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.