AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 3 UTVs and three corresponding remote controls.

UTV1: Several months ago the UTV stopped accepting remote commands from the Directv button. Switched it to use AUX commands and it has worked fine. The remote, however, quit soon after-wards. I got an MX-500 to replace it and control the home theater. I would get this receiver replaced but it is my main one with 120GB drive and I CANNOT lose all those shows while it is still usable. When I do have to send it back, I anticipate dropping the original hard drive back in (saved in box untouched) and getting my CC warranty on it.

UTV2: Some hours this unit responds to good, working remote control, sometimes it does not. It always responds to the buttons on the front so you can watch, but can't FF. Won't respond to any of the three remotes when it won't respond. Thank heavens I got CC 5 year Performance Guarantee on these. They are sending me a replacement as I type. Wife doesn't have much recorded on it so she won't lose much. I have received 5 UTV replacements from CC over the last year. I have been very pleased with their service. No hassles. Just explain problem and they offer to send me replacement. Replacement arrives and I install it and put old one in box and send it back. No cost to me.

UTV3: Faulty remote. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Finally signed up for Directv's insurance program. Since they are insane enough to cover remote controls, I can get the two bad remote controls replaced and the insurance on the whole system for a little more than the cost of buying replacement remotes.

Moral of my story: UTVs seem to get worse as they age. Do Tivos have so many problems? Of course a problem with Tivo seems to be that I heard they are sealed shut so that opening the box would void the warranty. With the UTV they never know.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

Sounds to me like your remotes aren't having a laid back type of existance... Die Hard they are not. :)

Do I assume correctly that all your UTVs are RCA models?

You only have the Remotes (no RCA Keyboards)?

You've changed/checked the batteries are good? The Remote Green (or Red) LED light is strong when you press a button. Other devices programmed on the UTV remote work fine? (TV, VCR,etc.)

Have you "reset" each of these "BAD" remotes to see if that will solve your remote issues?

You just pull the batteries and press #1 key for 60 sec (I usually press it for 90 sec or more) and then reinstall the batteries...

Your remote should then be set to it's original default setting. (You'll need to reprogram other non-RCA codes)

If you want to check your DirecTV button or AUX Button is working properly (If "reset" code doesn't work)... You can manually program the codes for these buttons. The UTV RCA DTV button is # 5000 and AUX is #5001 (As I recall). You can then make the AUX button transmit a DTV signal and the DTV button can transmit an AUX signal...

Also be certain that your RCA UTVs are each set to the correct mode. DirecTV and AUX settings are your two options on the RCA. (Sony UTV Remote only works with Sony UTV with 3.5 software) IF the UTV was ever "reset" or lost power long term the AUX setting might have returned to "default" DirecTV setting.

Let us know what you find out.

Later,

David T.

A COOL UTV is a HAPPY UTV

·
Registered
524 Posts
My remotes have been good 98% of the time... there are some soft bugs which require being put in standby or power off to clear. There may be some left in 3.7 as they are not repeatable so not so easy to find. Now the green light flashes so you know if utv is getting a remote code sequence.

The common problem is to point at the tv and not the utv, I find myself doing this more than I care to admit. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wrb
The common problem is to point at the tv and not the utv, I find myself doing this more than I care to admit. :D
Yeah, I had this problem at one point because I had all of my AV equipment in a completely different area of the room than my TV (space issues). I solved it with a cheap IR repeater from Radio Shack. I put the receiver on the TV and point the transmitter at the rack. Works great!

Clip

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was using cones in my original setup, and every time my central air would kick on, my UTV would go nuts. Something in the central air was on the same frequency as the cones. Since central air is much more important, the cones disappeared.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by utvlvr
I was using cones in my original setup, and every time my central air would kick on, my UTV would go nuts. Something in the central air was on the same frequency as the cones. Since central air is much more important, the cones disappeared.
Weird that your AC is putting out RF at a level that would mess up your "cones." But I guess it's better to have that interference at 418MHz that 2.4GHz!

Clip

·
Registered
354 Posts
Another thing to try if your not reluctant to open the UTV box is to remove then reinsert the small white ribbon cable from the front panel into the chassis board a few times. Especially on UTV2.

These contacts tend to oxidize a little over time. Careful removal & re-insertion seems to clean this. Poor contact at this interface could certainly explain the problems on your 2nd unit. Hopefully the remote reset works for 1st.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having been around this forum for a while, I have already done everything you kind folks suggested to solve these issues (except playing with the internal ribbon cable). Since I have 3 RCA units I simply test by taking a working one from one UTV and trying it on another.

My suspicion is that these remotes get much more of a workout than a normal remote due to AD skipping, my shows, etc. My MX-500 is built like a rock and I expect it to do much better. Thanks for the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.