AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello--I'd like to add a HTPC to my living room for 2 channel listening (w/ a X-meridian). But I would not like to have a monitor/keyboard/mouse in the room--just a desktop case on the rack.

I'd like to be able to use the laptop I have in the room to play music that is stored either on that computer or on another one. I am wondering what options there would be besides remote desktop?

I could use a remote for playing CDs that are put into the drive--but I don't know how I would go about loading playlists etc.

Suggestions please??

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
294 Posts
couple options -

get a case w/ a lcd built in

VNC (similar to remote desktop) into the computer.

Find software that can be run through a PDA

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
MainLobby / MusicLobby is designed to do this. You can run the MainLobby Client app on the laptop and operate a J. River Media Center instance running on the HTPC. You can also use DVDLobby so your 4 year old can play his / her movies at will. My 3 year old has been doing that for a year or so

You can put graphical icons to reflect his / her favorite songs that she can just click and listen to her music. I do same for movies. A scene for the Wiggles, one for Mickey Mouse, etc. You can configure a playlist in J. River of Kids Music and then use MainLobby to trigger that special playlist and give her a Forward / Reverse button to navigate thru the playlist. She can see the coverart of the movie playing, the one before and the one after. All kinds of options to make it easier for a little one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.