AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only planning on 1 or 2 switchers/dimmers in my room at most, and don't really need the kind of zone/scene control of a Grafik Eye. But the switches will be out of line-of-sight, and I do want to be able to control them via remote. I came across the URCs that work with RF Lutron switches http://www.universalremote.com/produ....php?model=157 , and I'm not really married to a remote yet, so this seems like it would be a suitable solution, but I'm wondering if there is another way to accomplish my rather modest needs?

I know some of you guys do IR and RF repeaters, and many times will use these set-ups to control equipment that is out of line-of-sight as well, but I don't need any of that; just need to control the light over the HT stairs, so people don't break their necks exiting in the dark. If this URC/Lutron combo is the way to go, where can I find these dimmers? Are they the Vizia RF line I've seen?

Thanks,

CD

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry I dont have the answer, but this is the exact question/post I was going to do later this week. I was hoping to find RF dimmers that I could control with a Harmony 890. Ideally I would have all theater control (including lighting) with the one remote. I will look around some more and if I find anything will post back.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tghodge /forum/post/15479849

Sorry I dont have the answer, but this is the exact question/post I was going to do later this week. I was hoping to find RF dimmers that I could control with a Harmony 890. Ideally I would have all theater control (including lighting) with the one remote. I will look around some more and if I find anything will post back.

Great...I know these guys must have some answers for us.

CD

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dont think the harmony 890 or 1000 will controll an RF device. I believe that they only communicate with the IR blaster and repeaters via RF.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid25 /forum/post/15482618

+1

890 and this switch:
http://store.homeseer.com/store/ZDW1...o-P495C35.aspx

No problems.

Thanks; the 890 looks interesting. I know this isn't the remote forum, but what's the deal with that Z-wave? That's what allows it control over Z-wave switches? And it claims to control equipment through cabinets and within 100'...do you need to do any modification, or is this Z-wave like IR+?

Any info on the URC/Lutron combo or other switches controlled natively by URC?

Thanks,

CD

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
As far as Z-Wave my undestanding is that it is RF protocall. RF is usually not allowed to interfere or interact with other devices other than the same brand device. Z-Wave allows RF devices to interact by creating a standard. My research on this is limited but that is my understading.

The 890 is RF and IR. You can set it to be RF and IR at the same for different devices. IR for line of site and RF for equipment behind a cabinet or closet which goes to a IR blaster for that equipment. At the same time it will handle the Z-Wave switches.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/15483713

As far as Z-Wave my undestanding is that it is RF protocall. RF is usually not allowed to interfere or interact with other devices other than the same brand device. Z-Wave allows RF devices to interact by creating a standard. My research on this is limited but that is my understading.

The 890 is RF and IR. You can set it to be RF and IR at the same for different devices. IR for line of site and RF for equipment behind a cabinet or closet which goes to a IR blaster for that equipment. At the same time it will handle the Z-Wave switches.

Are you sure that the 890 will do IR without the blaster? I was searching but couldn't find anything that said it could.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Yup, I have read about programming and choosing wether each device is going to be set as an RF device because it is out of sight or as an IR device because it has line of sight. Also here is a link to a cnet review last paragraph first page says you have the choice.
http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-contr...-31630408.html

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/15863637

Yup, I have read about programming and choosing wether each device is going to be set as an RF device because it is out of sight or as an IR device because it has line of sight. Also here is a link to a cnet review last paragraph first page says you have the choice.
http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-contr...-31630408.html

Hmmm... Did this reviewer actually test it? I setup a friends 890 and I don't recall being about to choose. I could have just missed it.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I believe BigmouthinDC actually uses this remote, send him a pm to verify.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts