AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm guessing this is impossible, but ...

I went with silver over white. By flipping my screen around I found that I prefer white over silver. I'm thinking of trying to remove the spandex and re-staple it ... but I'm afraid I won't be able to do it. I trimmed the excess spandex from the frame already, which means I will have less to grab onto in order to pull it into place. Theoretically it could work, but I'm guessing it would be more difficult and possibly ... impossible.

Can this be done? Has anyone done it?

EDIT: I think I'm just going to do it. I pulled a staple out with some needle nose pliers and the spandex appeared completely untouched. Not a mark on it. We have company coming over to watch a movie tomorrow, and if this doesn't work, I'm going to be pretty unpopular, but damn it, it has to be as good as I can make it, and this is not as good as I can make it. Wish me luck. I would delete this thread but that doesn't seem to be an option.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,153 Posts
You have the right idea. By carefully removing the staples, the spandex suffers no harm.

Of course it's a tedious job....and being such it's not really one for a self anointed lazy DIY'er to aspire to...........

.........but we won't go there. :p

Really though...I'm not too worried. You'll get'ter dun.:cool:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have the right idea. By carefully removing the staples, the spandex suffers no harm.

Of course it's a tedious job....and being such it's not really one for a self anointed lazy DIY'er to aspire to...........

.........but we won't go there. :p

Really though...I'm not too worried. You'll get'ter dun.:cool:
Hah! Thanks for the vote of confidence, MM!

It's funny how much the me of today hates the me of yesterday who decided to put 10,000 staples on each side of the frame ... what was wrong with that guy?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hah! Thanks for the vote of confidence, MM!

It's funny how much the me of today hates the me of yesterday who decided to put 10,000 staples on each side of the frame ... what was wrong with that guy?
I did the same thing. I started with silver over white then switched to white over silver with my Epson 8100. Fortunately I only stapled about every six to eight inches. I got frustrated with digging out the staples so I took a box cutter and sliced around the staples. When I re-stapled the fabric I went midway between the holes I had created. It worked out fine.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,153 Posts
I did the same thing. I started with silver over white then switched to white over silver with my Epson 8100. Fortunately I only stapled about every six to eight inches. I got frustrated with digging out the staples so I took a box cutter and sliced around the staples. When I re-stapled the fabric I went midway between the holes I had created. It worked out fine.
Yeow!

I just use a Miniature Flat Head Screw Driver. It works great, one corner of the Staple just pops up, I pull the Staple out, and the process seldom ever damages the Spandex.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd happily take the box cutter route, but I'm worried about overstretching the fabric, seeing as how I cut it pretty tight as it is. I'm using a method like MM's--wedge the point of a butcher knife under the staple, rock it back and forth until the staple pops out on one or both sides. If it only pops out on one side I grab it with some needle nose pliers and pull it out the rest of the way. Took me a while to get the hang of it but once I did it's not too time consuming. Got the silver layer off no problem and will do the white today.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,153 Posts
Butcher Knife, eh? Well I used a similar item, but got a bit nervous about slipping and slicing the material...or myself.

Be careful....Murphy's Law plainly states that if your going to slice off a finger, it will be the one you use to punch the buttons on your Remote.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hah. Happened a couple of times already--by which I mean the knife slipped past the staple and hit my fingers. Luckily I didn't get cut and finally learned to keep my fingers AWAY from the tip of the knife. That seems to have solved the problem. Now if could just remember not to hold the screen up in front of my neck when I do this ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts