AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m a little unsure about these LC projctors and other colour corrected projectors. BarcoGraphics 808s is fully colour corrected, can you remove the lenses on these without the liquid leaking out? How about Data 808s?

Electrohome Marquee 9500LC, can you take the lenses of on these?

I read alot about liquid/air coupled, colour corrected and liquid cooled, can someone explain these terms and whats the difference between them.

I have read posts of people removing thier lenses and that ended up with the liquid leaking out on the floor or in the projector and this has made me a little scared of removing lenses on a projector that i´m going to go and take a look at,Marquee 9500LC and Barco 808s(i don´t know if it´s a graphics or data).

Sorry for any missspelling, english ain´t my first language:)

Thanks in advance

Kenneth, Sweden

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi Kenneth

You can safely remove the lenses from any CRT projector without losing any cooling or coupling liquid.

The lense unit and the CRT are completely separate. The cooling and/or coupling fluid is sealed to the CRT face.

The Barco 808 series is not liquid coupled.

I'll try to explain the various terms with my limited knowledge. Other more expert forum members may well expand on my comments:

Air coupled is as it sounds there is an air gap between the CRT face and the lense. Most CRT projectors fall into this category.

Liquid coupling is where a glycol type liquid is contained in the space between the CRT face and the lense. This is usually found on the more high end projectors, including Barco 1209, Sony G70, NEX XG series and Electrohome. This specification is sometimes indicated by the letters LC in the projector description.

Liquid coupling provides better brightness, contrast, with better optical performance.

All CRT projectors are liquid cooled. Air coupled units have the cooling liquid sealed to the face of the CRT. With liquid coupled projectors the liquid between the CRT face and the lense also serves as a coolant.

My knowledge of colour correction is a little fuzzier but I believe that colour corrected is where the lense itself and/or the liquid coupling fluid has a tint added to it to produce more accurate reproduction of colours.

I haven't heard of anyone having liquid leaking from their projector after only removing the lenses, unless there was a fault or leak in the projector in the first place.

As I said the cooling/liquid coupling fluid is sealed to the face of the CRT. In liquid cooled projectors I think it would be impossible for that fluid to leak out in normal circumstances. With some LC projectors you can access the coupling liquid more easily.

Hope that this may clarify things for you.

E&OE

Mark

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Marks explanation is essentially correct. Except that on a liquid coupled CRT (LC) projector the first lens element known as the C-Element is part of the CRT assembly. You wan readily see thes when you take the lens assy off a say G-70 and the surface is concave. As opposed to say a Barco 808S which is not an LC and when you take off the lens assy, there is a flat piece of glass,

Color correction take many forms. In the XG-LC the correction is in the C-Element, in the XG-nonLC the color correction is in the Lens assy.

Terry

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since this is something I've been thinking about, I "borrow" mrhuntas thread.

So this means that it´s not "dangerous" for me to remove the lenses of my Barco 1209, to have a look at the tubes?

Just a couple of bolts, and they will come loose in one (three) peice?

/Olof

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers. If i take the lens of on a LC projector will I be able to see the fosfor clearly or does the liquid make it harder to see wear on a LC than a non-lc unit?

I have probably missunderstod these leaking projectors. I thought that it was when they removed the lenses that the liquid leakt out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
On a LC'ed marquee, there are 8 screws around the lense. If you remove the four raised screws, you can see the C-element and scope out how much wear you have. If you remove all eight, you get glycol everywhere. I don't know how the other LC'ed units remove their lenses safely, but just be sure you don't spill glycol all down your projector, it's a real pain to submerge every component into alcohol!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Olof

On a 1209, to remove the lenses, it's a simple matter of unscrewing the four philips head screws (not really bolts) on the front which hold them in place. Be careful, as they are very heavy! (The lenses, that is :))

Kenneth

Because of the concave lense attached to the front of the CRT face and the glycol liquid between the CRT and this lense, I would say that it is a little more diffcult to see minor to moderate even wear on the CRT than with a non LC projector.

But it is still a worthwhile exercise as you will definitely be able to see burn and high wear patterns and you will be able to compare the CRT wear pattern in relation to each other.

In my case, after removing my lenses, I discovered that the red CRT had more wear than the green and blue and had obviously been replaced at some time.

Mark

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
You also want to make sure on the 1209 that you are taking off just the 4 les assy screws. There are 8 screws there but only 4 are for the lens assy. The other 4 are to loosen the C-Element and then you will have a leaking mess.

Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.