AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Can you give an example what material you're talking of ? PAL Material doesn't use 3:2 pulldown. A 3:2 telecine is used to bring 24p to 60Hz.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theater_lover /forum/post/17047104

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...

I am looking for a way to remove 3:2 pulldown that was applied to 25 fps (PAL) footage.

Thanks.

it's actually called speedup , not pulldown.

and it's not 3:2 , its 2:2

you need to speeddown the 25fps to 24 fps,

www.doom9.org has he instructions to do that.

Michael

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theater_lover /forum/post/17047104

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...

I am looking for a way to remove 3:2 pulldown that was applied to 25 fps (PAL) footage.

Thanks.

if you're talking about PAL Video (from Videocameras)

is almost impossible to do that , since some halfframes have been altered

that can'tbe reversed.

the best thing to do is o get a multistandard DVD player and TV

and play the material back in i's native format, it will be sharper and

more vibrant.

Michael

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Essentially yes. These were commercials made for Europe that I think were exported from a Flame at 25P fps, and were captured at 29.97. I do not think they went through a speed drop to 24P, then up to 29.97I.

Are you saying that if they did what I described above that information has been lost and can the video can not be converted back to 25P?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theater_lover /forum/post/17048842

Essentially yes. These were commercials made for Europe that I think were exported from a Flame at 25P fps, and were captured at 29.97. I do not think they went through a speed drop to 24P, then up to 29.97I.

Are you saying that if they did what I described above that information has been lost and can the video can not be converted back to 25P?

If the source video was 25i it cannot simply be "captured" to 29i. It has to go thorugh frame interpolation. There are good systems and bad systems but there is no perfect system to do this. Is this HD or old SD material? If old SD material I doubt they were outputted at 25P. In the SD video days (1990s) 25P was very rare as no VTR would record it.

The best way to do what you want is to get back into a workstation like a Flame or one of the lower cost alternatives available today and extract the frames one by one to re-assemble a 25fps stream. It's going to be a long process. Trying to do this with any real time process, no matter how good, will result in some artifcats.

If it was film origionated or CGI, the chances of success are much higher. If video camera origionated at 25i, it's going to be tough if not impossible to get an artifact free result.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Most 24fps to PAL transfers are done by speeding up the 24fps to 25fps. This makes it 4% faster, but most find that unnoticable, especially when a pitch filter is applied to compensate for audio speed increase.

There is a type of pulldown used for PAL telecine. 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 pulldown compensates for frame difference by adding one repeated field every 12. Alternatively occasionally the transfer is done and then frame blending is used to slow it down to remove the 4% increase in speed, but this is less common.

Do you know what you're dealing with?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts