AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my basement, the builder drywalled the stair cavity with blueboard and plastered it with a troweled-on type of texture. It is butt-ugly and I want to get rid of it. What is the recommended way?

Is it possible to sand down the texture using one of those Porter/Cable sanders that they rent at Home Depot? Or, should I wet down the plaster and scrape it off and replaster. Since I have no idea how to plaster, I would rather not do that. Also, tearing down the whole thing and re-drywalling is not really an option at this time. My wife would kill me and it would be pretty difficult because it is on the stairs.

So, is it possible to sand this stuff down and then perhaps skim coat a layer of compound on top to get a smooth surface? I am not looking for perfection however.

As a side note, it seems that this plaster compound is harder than regular drywall compound.

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
268 Posts
You wont have much luck trying to dissolve any plaster type texture. Depending on how heavy the pattern is you can sand off the high spots and then do several skim coats to build up to a smoother surface. If you can live with a sanded texture you will eliminate a lot of work. Power sand the highest spots with any orbital sander, skim a coat of drywall mud , lightly hand sand the surface, prime, apply a sand texture coat (a thick paint like product) and use a wallpaper brush to make half moon sweeps in the texture. Paint if desired. This is a DIY approach. A plasterer could skim coat is for you smooth I am sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.