AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the "forum gods" are at it again. Seems a thread that rogo posted in concerning plas*aextr*m* was removed (rogo did you do it?). Interesting that this sites sponsor can not even be mentioned on this board. Amazing. They are paying you for what, exactly?

Interestingly enough if I do a search I can find all sorts of info on the above vendor.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Dear rmcgirr83 and all,

I just want to tell you I SAW the thread this morning and went to respond to it and it poofed but I want to thank everyone for the VERY kind words.

PS) Wow do I feel a Garth Brooks song coming on!

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The Other Rich,

I have no idea what the content of the thread was, but if it violated forum rules, the moderators are perfectly within their rights to delete it, modify it or do as they see fit. Gee, come to think of it, this is not a democracy--it's a free forum provided by AVS to people like you and me--so the owners/moderators can do as they see fit, period.

Before you start lambasting the moderators, have you even read the forum rules? Or the forum rules addendum thread stuck at the top of this forum? It specifically addresses anything even remotely appearing like vendor marketing within threads, even for paid site sponsors (contrary to popular belief, buying a banner ad doesn't give you the right to peddle your wares within threads). It also notes that you can't post "best place to buy" or "I only paid $5 for a ABC123!" type threads--such threads will be deleted by the moderators. It's one thing to ask where a thread went; it's quite another to start attacking the mods.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=244337

Moderating a forum is a tricky balance--and the continued growth and success of this forum shows that someone is doing something right. Compared to the rest of the legit A/V forums out there, AVS is very lenient and open. Still, if you think you can do a better job, no one's stopping from starting your own forum.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Weird... At least as of late yesterday it didn't *seem* to be violating forum rules. If it's the same thread I'm thinking of a forum member (not Rogo, though he did post within the thread) was asking if it was a legit place (myself and others confimed yes, with a clarification to make sure the person knew it was at the ".us" address as opposed to a ".com" address, but no direct links were provided) and what the general experiences (like customer service, etc.) were, but AFAIK no prices were mentioned. Scott, did something happen to make the thread violate the rules (did it start out okay then go bad?) or was the thread in itself a problem? This (what can and can't be discussed) is still kind of confusing (at least to me).

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nospam_online
So where can I get ABC123 for $5?

Please try the search function as many of these questions have been asked before.

I've been waiting months for just the right situation to post that comment. Thankyou no_spam. lol.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nospam_online
So where can I get ABC123 for $5?
Try the Jackson Five, I heard Tito is looking to sell.:p

And yes I know all about not posting prices nor direct links, however, no prices were mentioned no direct links given and this vendor is a sponsor of this site. So does that mean we don;t talk about AVSci*** either?

·
Registered
984 Posts
If I recall right, there was never any talk of price. The last post I saw was the one in which Mark claimed that Lisa was funny. I think that may have been what pushed the moderators over the edge.

Jim and Rich are being funny too now. This thread is doomed...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Ofer,

Careful, if we talk too much about Turt talking about Lisa's sense of humor, this thread will be pulled too, will be pulled too.

Seriously, it's hard for me to imagine that the mods can keep up with all these threads - I suspect they didn't read the aforementioned thread carefully enough.

But the mods do keep the trolls at bay and this remains an enjoyable place to avoid doing work! I'd suggest PM'ing the mods if you think your thread shouldn't have been deleted (and if you think it's interesting enough to repost.) Just don't take it personally...

My $.02.:)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ya know whats REALLY FUNNY? I cannot think of anything funny to say to respond. I just wanna say.. Whenever someone asks me something direct I have always posted "I am sorry I cannot answer that as it breaks AVS forum policies"..blah!!

The greatest compliment is about being funny, if you cannot have fun..nothing is worth doing. Thank you!

On an interesting note: I just ordered my BENQ Plasma Today!!!! I am so psyched I feel like I am going to pee my pants!!! I cannot tell you the dealer I bought it from ;), but when I was talking to her she answered all of my questions in a timley manner..( I think shes a little crazy) but interestingly enough, now I am experiencing what you all experience and I know the routine inside and out.

I am worried about it getting here ok, ( even though I know its rare for it not to be ok) and trying to decide what cables and if I want to buy a new DVD player and now I have to paint.

I am a little dissapointed because I thought I would wall mount but there is a brick chimney behind where I want it. So I was going to ceiling mount but EVERYthing is plaster and I am to cheap to hire someone to do it, and it would be a huge mess for weeks because the plaster is a billion years old..and then what color should I paint ? And now I have to find some kind of appealing stand to hide components and that looks good.This is mind boggling..now its turned into this whole HUGE Easter project.

Sigh::: any idea's or suggestions? 46 Inches here I come!!!:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey Lisa, I'm looking to buy a plasma in December. ;)

Is there anyway you or another owner of the PDP-46W1 could post some screenshots? Prefferebly of some Star Wars scenes with some stars in the backdrop. :)

Thanks,

Dreamaster

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LisaJ
I am a little dissapointed because I thought I would wall mount but there is a brick chimney behind where I want it. So I was going to ceiling mount but EVERYthing is plaster and I am to cheap to hire someone to do it, and it would be a huge mess for weeks because the plaster is a billion years old..and then what color should I paint ? And now I have to find some kind of appealing stand to hide components and that looks good.This is mind boggling..now its turned into this whole HUGE Easter project.

Sigh::: any idea's or suggestions? 46 Inches here I come!!!:D
I feel for you! I went through something similar. In fact, my living room is still half in progress as I tear through it repainting, but the worst is over. I ceiling mounted my plasma, but because it was going in front of a wall of windows. And then had to buy all sorts of new components like a receiver, HD tuners, antenna, new DVD player, et. al., then had to build a cabinet to put them in, now am figuring out speaker wiring/placement, and have all the detail work left to paint in the room. I just posted some photos of the plasma and cabinet part of the project this morning, though... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=249053

At least it's finally less messy than the whole setup used to be before the plasma arrived. :)

The ceiling mount may not be all that much trouble if you can figure out a way to identify where the studs are. The wall mount may still be possible by installing some studs horizontally across the bricked area if there's studs in the wall off to the sides of it. And you still could use anchors in the brick.

No matter what you do though, even just leaning the plasma against a wall, you're gonna love it!

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Ive always wondered if Lisa actually had her own plasma and now we know.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LisaJ
On an interesting note: I just ordered my BENQ Plasma Today!!!! I am so psyched I feel like I am going to pee my pants!!! I cannot tell you the dealer I bought it from ;), but when I was talking to her she answered all of my questions in a timley manner..( I think shes a little crazy) but interestingly enough, now I am experiencing what you all experience and I know the routine inside and out.
Be careful - some of those online shysters will smack you upside the head, if you're not careful.;) :D

It sounds like you need a new house to go with the plasma! Seriously, I can think of a few different ways to mount it to the chimney, assuming the chimney is in good shape. And it would depend on how important doing it to code would be...

If it's a modern house, there should be a gap around the chimney and wall studs that you could mount to. You've probably determined that's not the case. Then it gets more interesting.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Damn, djs, you 'beat' me to it....

Question?

If you remove one 'thread', does that mean you run the risk of 'unraveling' the whole thing?

Just curious...(ducking... before LJ impales me with a knitting needle)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lisa,

Quote:
I am a little dissapointed because I thought I would wall mount but there is a brick chimney behind where I want it.
Anyone with a lust for power tools [Tim Allen, Tool Time grunts] knows how to drill into concrete and brick. And any sales person in the Fasteners aisle at Home Depot (or your preferred Hardware retailer) can sell you the appropriate bolts. So I don't think there should be any problem mounting your new plasma in your preferred spot.

(Of course, I disavow and responsiblity if it's not done right. ;) )

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, but now she has 46" inches of pure pleasure.:)

Lisa,

XOXOXOXOXOXOX, want to play tic-tac-toe.:D

·
Registered
891 Posts
haha rmcgirr83 Well, I have 19 inches now I can do that pretty well so I figured I would move to 46inches and work up to 50-63" one of these days.

;) tic tac toe is for the weak..how about plasma qaurters or something???

Quote:
Originally posted by mattg3
Ive always wondered if Lisa actually had her own plasma and now we know.
I am with computers like you guys are like Plasma's..I get a new PC every 6 months. I have been that way about the last 7 years..In the year since I have been around I think the bug really hit me badly when I went to CES. I decided to get a Bstock unit that has 9 mos of warranty left on it and that has been used a few times at tradeshows. I got a great deal but heck it is still expensive for a televison if you know what I mean!!!!

Quote:
Be careful - some of those online shysters will smack you upside the head, if you're not careful.
What's very funny is I was probably my own worst customer this morning and I was on a plasma crack mission..( yes I lovingly refer to you guys as the plasma crack addicts, now I am one of them ):D I actually had a funny thought of calling up some of the shysters and asking them to price match :D :D

Quote:
It sounds like you need a new house to go with the plasma!
My house is 85 some odd years old last time I looked, still in good shape..but if you would like to donate a log cabin in the woods to me..hey I''ll take it!!! :D

Quote:
Stylish and elegant, im getting the delta model in a day or 2. note you must buy mounting brackets seperate. hope this helps.
BlouZbee this IS really nice thank you for the link!!

Quote:
In fact, my living room is still half in progress as I tear through it repainting, but the worst is over. I ceiling mounted my plasma, but because it was going in front of a wall of windows. And then had to buy all sorts of new components like a receiver, HD tuners, antenna, new DVD player, et. al., then had to build a cabinet to put them in, now am figuring out speaker wiring/placement, and have all the detail work left to paint in the room.
I may eventually do this, I like the ceiling mount idea, but after looking over all of your work, I just do not have the time to coordinate all of this right now. So I ordered a desk stand thinking if I wanted to take the Plasma to a tradeshow I could do it very easily..but this is definatley probably what I will do in the future. I may have some questions for you in the very near future...Thank you for talking it out with me it definatley helped!

Dreamaster, hahahahah OMG ROFLMAO its YOU isn't IT????????:D

Sure I will take a whole bunch of pictures for you and anyone else interested, I do not have star wars yet though..but I will get it just for you and your picture fetish! ;)

Sixsevans
Quote:
Of course, I disavow and responsiblity if it's not done right
That's my line...I do not know whats scarier doing the home job or hiring installers..since I meet all the installers from hell the thought of that is scarier I guess.

I swear I am not testing for dead/pixels and my house is noisy enough to drown out any potential buzzing..;)

I hope anyone who calls me friday or monday forgives my bad case of pixel pox. I will post pictures of delivery and before and after as soon as possible! Stay tuned!!!!!

Lisa::: smacks Brucer on the way out::::

PS) I hope you are working on that screen!!

PSS) I have never seen a thread this long labeled removed thread!!!:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.