AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys suggest for this? All I can think to do is use a hair dryer with a spackle knife but I'm scared of scratching it. I'm looking to change the orientation of this speaker (NHT with the classic NHT piano black finish) so that this side will now be the top.

Any tricks or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Matt

·
Registered
516 Posts
Those look like the old original NHT speakers. The black finish is laminate, just like formica on kitchen counter tops. Treat it like plastic. Don't use a metal blade, it will scratch the finish.

Use heat from a hair drier and pull the rubber foot off. It will leave glue residue behind. Don't worry.

Get some powdered dishwasher detergent, like Cascade. Mix about a table spoon of it in a small container of hot water and apply it with a sponge. Have another container of clean water ready to rinse things afterwards.

The glue left on the black laminate surface should come off fairly quickly with the dishwasher detergent.

This also works with something called trisodium phosphate
http://www.amazon.com/Savogran-10621-Trisodium-Phosphate-16oz/dp/B0001GOGQW

It's sold in hardware stores where paint supplies are sold.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
If you can twist it as you try to remove it, that may help. But don't slip and scratch the surface.

Rubbing alcohol or mineral oil (baby oil) sometimes works for glues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally got around to working with this and had been meaning to thank you guys!

The glue was especially stubborn so I had to modify the approach a little bit. After working the corner of each foot up with the gf's hair dryer & my fingernail (a process easier said than done), I then very carefully used a large, sharp kitchen knife to further prop & remove it. For the impossibly stubborn glue (even with detergent), I finally resorted to a very light application of Goo Gone which worked perfectly. All looks good now with no scratches or evidence that there was ever anything there.

Anyway, thanks again!

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts