AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, slightly off topic but i thought someone here might have an answer.

Long story short is i need microdisplay panels for another application, and i really can't find a source to buy these things. I am wondering, is it posible to remove the panel from a LCD projector, or are they somehow permenatly fixed to the light engine. Just wondering how feasable, if at all, something like this is.

Also, are all LCD panels 3 panels pressed into one? or are there any single panel projectors?

I require a native resolution of at least 1024 x 768

Can anyone recomend any projectors?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Single panel projectors exist but are normally pretty low quality/resolution.

In a proper projector, they have 3 separate panels, red, green and blue. On my old projector (that I actually had the guts to take apart) which was 1024 x 768 you could remove 4 screws and undo each panel, but it was still attached via a small ribbon cable, that obviously provides power and the video signal. If you can find the format/pin out etc of this cable, then Im sure you could use it in another application. Mind you, if you want a full colour image, eg the use of all three panels, it may be very hard to align them again, so may be better keeping them in the current layout.

as it stands they are they are currently all aligned perpendicular to each other with some complex mirror trickery.....

eg

_ _

| |

good luck

Andrew

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Here is a photo of an LCD block from an ... um ... geez, I can't remember.

It is some projector ... maybe an Epson?

Anyway, this is what you are looking at.

As per Andrew's description above, it is just a matter of removing the color panel you wish to use (nothing like understanting
)

·
Registered
320 Posts
in a 3 lcd projector, the lcd panels are monochrome, meanning they are black and "white" not color. what give them the color is the light splitters inside the light engine. thats why you have 3 lcds, one for red, green & blue

if you try to use the panels like that all you'll have is a black and white image of whatever it is your in-putting into them.

ap0

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.