AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
the story is that getting bds from France is a major crapshoot, and you have to do major research for almost any title you may be interested in regarding possible forced subs, English subs, locked status, etc.etc.

French bds are by far imo the most frustrating in this regard of any country.

I am region free now, but still am foiled many times by the damn forced French subs.

such a pain.

btw: not to rub salt in a wound, but it is noted on www.blurayregioncodes.com that that release has no English audio or English subs.

btw: I believe the ascot elite German release does have a 5.1 English language track.

The HD DVD did.

It may be locked however.

not sure.

unfortunately that release does not appear on the region coding site although I am convinced it did at one time.

not sure why it got deleted.

btw: here's a review of the German release
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/900/r...ce2006_de.html

(yes I know it's the HD DVD)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
This movie is an odd duck. Although it was a French production, the actors used for the basis of the rotoscoping animation were speaking English on camera. Thus the animation maintains sync best with the English dub track (the one with Daniel Craig).

The voice actors in neither dub are the same actors who were rotoscoped. Nonetheless, I think a strong case can be made that English is the primary language. Much like Resident Evil: Degeneration, which was made in Japan but with all American actors.

I have Renaissance on an HD DVD from Germany with the English soundtrack. Doesn't look like they released a comparable Blu-ray there, though. Unfortunately, the French Blu-ray has only French audio and no English subtitles.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9enhanced /forum/post/16855516

well if they didn't release a corresponding bd version in Germany then my aoplogies on that.

I thought for sure there was a German bd of that title.

If they did, then Amazon.de isn't carrying it. I didn't check anywhere else, though.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I consider it more of a english film as the actors speak english for sinc up and the signs and such are english. the HD-DVD is rather good. HBO shows the french version with english subs from time to time

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Anyone know if the Canadian blu-ray release is as good as the HD DVD in regards to picture quality?

Thanks,

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.