AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Panasonic 56" 16:9 HDTV will be 3 years old in August. It's performed flawlessly. I had the original 1 year warranty and then a 2 year extended warranty from Panasonic. Never needed a service call. I just got a call from Panasonic asking if I want to extend the warranty another two years for about $600. What do you folks think? Should I take the new warranty? What parts are likely to go out and what would they cost if I didn't have the warranty?

Thanks.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Jerry, you're kidding right? I would think a long timer like you would know better than to give away your hard earned cash.

Brian

------------------

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

[This message has been edited by usabrian (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
After one year, the warranty (in most cases) is outsourced to an insurance company to cover your product. I would not purchase a warranty at this point and rather set money in an interest bearing account and buy another tv if yours does take a dump.

By then, you probably will get a set for a grand or two and it will be compliant with whatever copy protection that is coming.

Remember, wise men keep learning and listen twice as much as they speak...Jerry G may have been around a while but he is wise enough to always absorb more than he speaks. We all shoulds take note. Thumbs up Jerry!

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The profit margin on these so-called extended warranties generally exceeds 50%. I was at a meeting at corporate headquarters for a large Fortune 500 company which sold these "warranties". Someone asked the group of 50 plus executives how many of them ever buy this stuff. Not one hand went up. Personally, I self insure and NEVER EVER buy this stuff. I am so far ahead being my own insurance company.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones:
Remember, wise men keep learning and listen twice as much as they speak...Jerry G may have been around a while but he is wise enough to always absorb more than he speaks. We all shoulds take note. Thumbs up Jerry!
Thanks. If the copy protection issue didn't exist, this would be a no brainer. If the set died, I'd buy a new one. But I'm concerned that the CP issue may not resolved for some time and I'm very hesitant to buy a new set now. So the question still remains as to which expensive parts are most likely to go out and how much would it cost to repair without a warranty? Given all this, I'm still inclined to not get any additional warranty.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Does it cover acts of God?

A good van de Graf or other suitable lightning device could rapidly convert it into a DVI/HDCP compliant machine in a few months.

But that would be dishonest, and we don't condone dishonesty.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Maybe, but only if the warranty covers the CRT's.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
If I didn't buy a 3 yr extended from Sears last Summer, I would be stuck with a completely useless 36" Wega right now. A $1700 paper weight. Instead, I am getting the full $1700 credit, plus a refund on the Wega stand.

And this Thursday, my brand new 47" Panasonic arrives at my door. And the remaining 2 years on the extended warranty applies to the Panny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.