AVS Forum banner

Renovating House - Whole Home Audio advice and guidance -- on a shoestring budget!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  limester 
#1 ·
So I'm going the way of 'house poor' so any original ideas of Sonos and other expensive equipment is out right now -- but at the same point I want to future proof.

What I am looking to do is provide audio to Bedroom, Kitchen, Outside deck by using 2 speakers in each area and using an indepedent volume control for each area ..

I want to use existing gear in office (speakers from computer -- ie running a music server) and living room (home theatre) to provide audio to those areas

I have run cat6 to each of the above rooms minus outside .. this is really the last gasp at getting ideas before the contractors drywall everything up this week

I plan to have a server/rack/patch panel setup in the basement where I have run the cat 6 to as well as coaxial to the office, living room and bedroom.

My thought is to run speaker wire to the areas where I need music - does not have to be multi zone -- but future proofing (for when I have money back in my pocket) would be a plus

Do I run the speaker wire to the setup in the basement? .. they have already drywalled, but not taped so I have a day or two ..

Or, do I run it closer to the home theater equipment in the living room?

If I use the living room concept, can I use the cat6 I have run from the living room to to the basement to somehow bring all these pieces together?

The plan would be to use a music server in the basement to provide a single audio source to these devices -- but would also like to future proof as all the walls are exposed -- so run any wiring for future consideration

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated ..

Cheers!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply .. contacted HTD and they were very helpful, provided detailed info on what to do to get what I need accomplished including diagrams..

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.