AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for one am not a fan of PPV because once I throw my dough out there it's over, I have nothing in hand. Also the 24 Hour window thing they do really stinks in my opinion and is not something I want to be locked to. It took me a month to finish Smokin Aces for the simple fact I would get distracted and have to do something else or I want to hit the sack or whatever. Imagine if I had to pay every time I wanted to continue the movie later. But what if there was an option for unlimited views?

Do you think an option,for example, you rent the same movie 3 times and it becomes permanently unlocked for you as long as you have service with the provider. You don't have to pay anymore. It would be like having your own DVD? ..... I just thought about this though. I guess one could just wait until it gets shuffled into the free category also.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership /forum/post/14168243

once I throw my dough out there it's over, I have nothing in hand. Also the 24 Hour window thing they do really stinks in my opinion and is not something I want to be locked to. It took me a month to finish Smokin Aces

Get a DVR!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/14168874

Get a DVR!

Uhhh.. Most providers are now putting in a 24 hour self destruct code so whatever PPV you record deletes itself after 24 hours.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/14168874

Get a DVR!

Got 3 of 'em.
But still don't like the whole 24 hour thing.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie /forum/post/14169989

Most providers are now putting in a 24 hour self destruct code so whatever PPV you record deletes itself after 24 hours.

Not around here they don't.

·
Registered
998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership /forum/post/14168243

I for one am not a fan of PPV because once I throw my dough out there it's over, I have nothing in hand. Also the 24 Hour window thing they do really stinks in my opinion and is not something I want to be locked to. It took me a month to finish Smokin Aces for the simple fact I would get distracted and have to do something else or I want to hit the sack or whatever. Imagine if I had to pay every time I wanted to continue the movie later. But what if there was an option for unlimited views?

Do you think an option,for example, you rent the same movie 3 times and it becomes permanently unlocked for you as long as you have service with the provider. You don't have to pay anymore. It would be like having your own DVD? ..... I just thought about this though. I guess one could just wait until it gets shuffled into the free category also.

They want to make as much money as they possibly can. Why do they release the same movie 3 or 4 times with special editions, directors cut editions, never before seen editions, ect? There are people who will give away their money without thinking.

You might be better off renting from a store since you get a couple days to watch the movie and it is cheaper than pay per view.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/14170428

Not around here they don't.

I would not count on things being that way for too much longer, unless there is some Canadian law that specifically forbits something like that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
They will avoid this for a few reasons. PPV is a way for them to make money from people that will not shell out the money for the DVD or for them to convince people to buy the DVD. It has not yet been positioned as a replacement for the DVD. Furthermore, I doubt they want to get into an "owned" program being on a DVR. If your DVR ever got replaced, you would lose your "owned" program. This would be a customer service nightmare and probably not worth the hassle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts