AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only rent my HD DVD online but so far 1 disc came completely unplayable on my A1, one disc hung at certain point and nothing but a hard reboot could revive the machine.

Seems to me that HD DVD scratches too easily from repeat rentals. BD has a harder top coating and should be better than HD Disc in this regard.

Anyone rents HD DVD here shares the same opinion?

·
Registered
274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 /forum/post/0

I only rent my HD DVD online but so far 1 disc came completely unplayable on my A1, one disc hung at certain point and nothing but a hard reboot could revive the machine.

Seems to me that HD DVD scratches too easily from repeat rentals. BD has a harder top coating and should be better than HD Disc in this regard.

I used to have lots of problems with scratched HD DVD and the movies would freeze and skip quite often. Ever since I upgrade the firmware to 2.0 though, I haven't had any problem.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I've rented 50-60 HD-DVDs from nf and bbo, and only one has been unplayable. Another caused my player to lock up, but played fine after I cleaned it off. The rest of the 48-58 have played fine, even though they all had a good amount of scratches on them.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:

What you explain in your post is a common problem for HD-DVD and the A1. There seems to be a new thread pop-up every day or so about this problem. I personally have had this issue as well with three of my HD-DVD's, two of which were rentals. I hope that HD-DVD addresses this problem and dedicates the resources needed to fix the problem.

~Josh

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogon Poet /forum/post/0

I have only had two rental discs that were a problem for me.

Last night I watched one that was scratched to hell and it still worked fine.

I also had a disk that looked like it was skipped across a parking lot, it was so bad I said to my wife this sucker is never going to play but it played without any trouble but have had more problems with disks that are scuffed than scratched but most of my disks have been trouble free lately.

Now I said that I know tonight I will have a problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've never had a problem with any of the rentals I've played through my 360 add-on. Is this possibly related to the A-1 as opposed to the discs themselves?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have yet to have a problem with scratches from NF or BB since I got my 360 add-on the 1st weekend it was available. Everything plays so far. About 8 HD-DVD's per week. Would be more if BB wasn't so slow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My last two HD-DVD netflix rentals were unplayable. In the past, some disks with scratches did play. Some disks with very few scratches did not. It appears that what matters is not the amount of scuff/scratch, but the location of them (I have XA1 with v2.0 firmware).

It may be just me, but I am not inclined to purchase any HD-DVDs until they fix the problem and make the disks more durable.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Another one with no issues. About 50 rentals from BB(both online and instore) and I have not had an issue on my xbox 360 addon.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have only had one problem with a rental, it was a combo disk and it would make a creaking sound when you flexed it, but it played fine after cleaning. After the movie I looked at it a little more and found that the creaking sound was because the two halves were starting to come apart.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is there something magical about the coating that BD uses? ie: is there any reason it couldn't be applied to HD-DVD discs? (I know the argument is that its not necessary, but even though I'm firmly in the HD-DVD camp I still like not having my discs scratched up).

Also, how durable is that coating? Has anyone done what it takes to see just how hard it is to scratch a BD disc?

I'm curious.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts

Quote:

People are receiving rental Blu-ray discs that contain cracks and some will not play at all. Personally I'd rather deal with a few scratches than cracked discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/0

What you explain in your post is a common problem for HD-DVD and the A1. There seems to be a new thread pop-up every day or so about this problem. I personally have had this issue as well with three of my HD-DVD's, two of which were rentals. I hope that HD-DVD addresses this problem and dedicates the resources needed to fix the problem.

The BDA needs to figure out what's happening with Blu-ray discs cracking. Seems like a harder coating that helps resist some scratching is making the discs more susceptible to these cracks around the outer edges, which can apparently spread. Last time I checked scratched don't spread.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's the one thing I've always hated about renting anything. There's always lazy jerks that let their kids play with the discs like they are a toy, or leaving the discs sit out information side up and pile crap on top of it.

I honestly don't have a scratch in anything I've owned whether it be DVD or any of my HD-DVD's. I wish they kept track of how customers were returning movies, and if you return one with scratches you get one warning, and the second time you're banned forever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.