AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just talked to the owner of the most eclectic movie rental shop in my geographical area. He rented LD back in the day, but has no plans to carry BD 3D. He won't say he never will, but he sees no real market for it. There are a number of titles I'd like to see first before buying. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Maybe neither.

It looks like I may buy some turkeys, but I think I'll have a look with 2D BD to see whether or not I like the story and then read reviews about the 3D quality. These things aren't cheap so I want to know before I buy.

The studios should, IMO, be releasing all 3D titles on a single disc with an option to play it in 3D (like they did with some titles that included the cardboard glasses) so everyone has access to the new BD 3D discs since these would simply be the rental discs.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If 3d catches on or if they stop releasing separate movies 3d 2d version of the movie. I wish they would just release the 3d disk only, this would solve a few issues. It was also mean rental stores are more likely to get them. Only this is studios are in the habit of releasing bare bones rental only disk with nothing on them, so we may never see 3d bd in rental stores unless they want them.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 /forum/post/19653516

If 3d catches on or if they stop releasing separate movies 3d 2d version of the movie. I wish they would just release the 3d disk only, this would solve a few issues. It was also mean rental stores are more likely to get them. Only this is studios are in the habit of releasing bare bones rental only disk with nothing on them, so we may never see 3d bd in rental stores unless they want them.

The studios could release 3D BD only discs for sale to rentailers if they wanted to.

But they want to sell 3D BDs, not have them rented.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My reason at my BlockBuster, and it makes sense, is it's just too new of a technology. I mean Blu-Ray is popular, but I think the majority of people are still watching regular DVD. So to buy products for such a niche product probably wouldn't be profitable.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
The biggest rental stores are going out of business. It makes little sense to supply stores with 3D movies when only a couple people are going to rent them. It's better to have a central distribution center from which an entire country can have their orders fulfilled. Netflix OD, VOD and streaming are where I would expect to find 3D rentals before the physical stores.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been renting from Playstation Network on the PS3 for $6 for 24 hours. The video quality is about 720p and surround sound is only available through hdmi aac 5.1. Other than the lack of DTS and 1080p I have been happy to see movies that aren't available for purchase or that I just would not have purchased. I have rented "Open Season" (hated it), "Chicken Little" (it was ok), and "Meet the Robinsons" (Loved it after watching it twice). These three movies also filled the screen which was nice. I haven't rented "Bolt" yet because I saw it in theaters.

They also offer "A Christmas Carol" and "Monster House". I own these so I haven't rented them.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo /forum/post/0

The biggest rental stores are going out of business. It makes little sense to supply stores with 3D movies when only a couple people are going to rent them. It's better to have a central distribution center from which an entire country can have their orders fulfilled. Netflix OD, VOD and streaming are where I would expect to find 3D rentals before the physical stores.

For those of us that care we should all email Netflix and ask about 3d blu ray rentals! It can't hurt!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Asked the guy at Blockbuster yesterday and he said they were supposed to start carrying them at some point.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart
BBi just announced they are closing 72 more stores this year and another 100 Q1 2011. Just a BTW . . .
That's good, there are far too many. I can go 2 miles in any direction and find one.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I can't wait for rentals to start myself. I'm not the type that is going to buy a movie. Not at those prices. I have no problem renting, because I normally will only see a movie one time. The only time I watch movies multiple times, is because it's a kids movie, and my kids like watching them over and over, and I end up seeing those multiple times, but it's more like by accident. I'm not really trying to watch those kids movies over and over, I just can't avoid it.

I don't mind buying some of my all-time classics (when they are on sale, like $17.99 or something), but that's about it. I'd much rather rent via Blockbuster or some rental service. Right now I have Netflix, but have just been using it for streaming. Not sure when Netflix will actually have 3D Blu Ray's for rent, but I'm looking forward to that.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Netflix and BB would LOVE to rent 3D titles, but the studios won't allow it. That's the reason, the only reason, you won't ever find a 3D title at these rental sites.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Anyone here rent a 3D movie from qriocity.com ? I see Step Up 3D listed (for $7.50
) and may try to rent it today. I did a search and found that a member here attempted to rent one with a Sony 470 & was unsuccessful. I have a 570.

Ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.