AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Blockbuster for three weeks. So slow. Which is what I remember from the last time I rented from them. Also, still no Superman or X-Men. And I don't go to the stores. Any comments on Netflix?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I am a Blockbuster online customer, and I will tell you without a doubt Netflix is better for high definition content. Blockbuster online will just not reliably deliver blu-ray or hd dvd movies. Even if you are lucky enough (as I am) to have a local Blockbuster store that stocks blu-ray and HD DVD, thier stock is very limited to the point that 'Total Access' becomes a non-factor unless you care about SD DVD (which I don't).

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
like everyone else said..... BB is good for SD DVDs but for Blu-ray IT SUCKS. All the Blu-rays that I have in my BB queue have either a "long wait" or "coming soon" .........even Kung Fu hustle is "coming soon" WTF ????............ but on the other hand, Netflix has most of the movies available.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I had Alien vs. Predator and The Guardian on my Q since last week, and even when AvP was listed as 'available' BB sent me 2 SD from the BOTTOM on my Q list. Ain't too happy about THAT!

·
Registered
533 Posts
BB is still in transition to BD and HD discs. They currently have little stock. Combine that with their explosion of Total Access and we've got an overload of people trying BB online right now. I'm one of them. I need Blu-ray online as my local BB does not yet carry them(they will be soon). However, with the Total Access, I like the fact that instead of just sending it back, I get a free rental out of it. Yes, its currently only good for a DVD because my store isn't hd yet, but it will be. Plus, I get a free game rental each month. BB online is a much, much better value, but Netflix is supreior if only HD and BD is concerned. Netflix is not without issue either as the total stock of HD and BD is rather low so you'll find people all fighting for the popular titles and new releases.

I'd probably say Netflix is better for HD/BD right now and tomorrow, who knows? BB online is better on paper and "should" be better once stock reaches good volumes.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Blockbuster or Netflix: Niether.

Blockbuster is slow, and Netflix rarely delivers (at least HD-DVD, I don't know about BD)

Note: Netflix was great before the X360 add on was released.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru /forum/post/0

Blockbuster or Netflix: Niether.

Blockbuster is slow, and Netflix rarely delivers (at least HD-DVD, I don't know about BD)

Note: Netflix was great before the X360 add on was released.

That's my point. Stock is low and Netflix and BB online need to adjust to this volume, which is only going to grow. Untill then, we all have no choice but to keep contacting support and deal with the slow response. We don't have any other alternatives to rent that are any better.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hmm. I 've been with Netflix for a year and a half. Like everyone says SD DVDs are no problems in getting them on release date. Now with the next gen dvds its thumbs down. I turned in my movies on Sat that way I get the new releases by Tues/Wed. Monday it said to be released on Tues. Now its Tues it says short wait. WTF??!! I find it difficult to get next gen DVDs. Its not new...its been around since early-mid 2006. So whats the problem?? I was gonna switch to BB but seems like they have similar problems as far as next gen DVDs. How do you contact Netflix, I mean really contact like speak to a real person.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I did the NF trial and it's been a bad experience, they took way too long to send me the movies compared to BB. What I like about NF is their selection, much better than BB atm for HD content.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just signed up for both - put two movies in each queue that were listed at "available". We'll see what shows up first.

I did get a free game coupon from BB right off the bat. So while I'm waiting I get to play Ridge Racer 7

·
Registered
93 Posts
Netflix has been getting progressively worse each week with their Blu-ray discs. I think the growing amount of people renting Blu-ray is outpacing the amount Netflix purchases. It's beginning to frustrate me as well, because out of all the discs released today they only shipped Black Rain. And those movies have been in my que for weeks just waiting for the release date. Even releases from the last few weeks are still "very long wait" status.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooChan /forum/post/0

Netflix has been getting progressively worse each week with their Blu-ray discs. I think the growing amount of people renting Blu-ray is outpacing the amount Netflix purchases. It's beginning to frustrate me as well, because out of all the discs released today they only shipped Black Rain. And those movies have been in my que for weeks just waiting for the release date. Even releases from the last few weeks are still "very long wait" status.

I guess we are forced to buy them instead of renting them. Atleast you got something this week, I got nada zip!!!!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I've had mixed results with both Netflix and Blockbuster Total Access. I ended up siding with BB, simply because they offer a coupon every month that's good for a free movie/GAME rental. I actually use the PS3 for gaming once in a while, and those damn things are expensive even to rent!

FWIW, both I've gotten the SD versions of high-def movies in my queue several times from both services. There's nothing more frustrating than opening the sleeve and not seeing the HD or BR insignia on the disc :-(

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have Netflix and am feeling the pinch for all the new PS3 owners.

At PS3 launch I had no problem still getiing new releases...now I dont get anything, the whole que is very long wait

At least I can finally watch the Carnivale series.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow, surprised at the what I am reading. Blockbuster has plenty of Blur-ray and HD-DVD's, you just cannot expect to get the newest ones for at least a couple weeks after they are released. Some popular titles also come up 'long wait'. Netflix was slightly better and seems to have more titles, but Total Access is insane. I literally have a different movie every day (I work next door to a Blockbuster). The coupon also gives you a free game/movie rental each month, they also give you deals on some SD-DVD at times. It's not even close if quantity is important to you. Rent the HD-DVD's and Bluray discs online, then return them to the store in exchange for a new release...fantastic deal.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Maybe I've just been lucky, but even when a movie that's in my queue is marked with "long wait" I am still receiving it the day ater it hits the top of my list. That includes new releases such as The Guardian and Employee of the Month. I think Netflix is great.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.