AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm not an audiophile, I like my system to sound great but don't tinker much. I have an M&K VX-7 from the early 90s and the flexible ring around the woofer is torn wide open. Question is should I try to replace the speaker in it or just buy a new one. I've wondered if it is too small for my room. I use it for mostly HT but some music. probably 85/15.

Here's my set-up:

Yamaha RXV-1400 receiver

Axiom M22 fronts

Axiom VP150 Center

My old small bookshelf M&K's as rears

My now broken VX-7 Sub

My room is about 18X18 with very high ceiling. I looked all over the sub and it doesn't list what the ohm is. I went to parts express and I can get this for around $50: Dayton RS225-4 8" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm. It asked for the ohm and I guessed. If I had to buy a whole new subwoofer I'd probably want to keep it under $350, I mention that so you can help decide on repairing the M&K or buying a new one. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Get a BIC H100 or get a re-foam kit for your sub.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
You can have a speaker reconed for usually under $100 or re-edged for even less. Re-cone replaces much more that just the surround. You need to search to find someone local to you or that you can send your speaker to. You may need to find out what speaker is in the sub.

Other than that, the BIC H-100 or maybe one of the cheap eD subs will do as a replacement.

What I wouldn't do is just buy any old speaker to replace the broken one.

HERE is an example of a company that does re-cones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I didn't know repairing the speaker was an option. Any thoughts on if my 8" M&K is sufficient for my room and system? I don't mind repairing if it's the right sub but if it's mediocre and I could get much better for $350 then I'd probably get a new one. BTW, the sub is sealed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any thoughts on if the 8" M&K is good for my set-up or would the Bic H100 or ED be a whole lot better than the repaired M&K?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
For what is NORMAL around here, no. Even with 8' ceilings, you are still looking at 2600cf. A single 8" will have a very difficult, if not impossible, time filling that space to the volume levels I listen at. You could squeeze the most out of it by placing it near where you sit. $350 won't let you buy much, but you can find some decent 12" subs in that price range.

If you know that the speaker is the only problem with the M&K, get it fixed. You should be able to sell it and make a little profit. But it will allow you to try it and see how it fits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The speaker in the VX-7 is a 2 ohm driver. I just repaired mine, only to find that the amp is fried. Try to find a cheap plate amp that will handle a 2 ohm load! If you are interested in this now-repaired speaker let me know. Meanwhile I am looking to replace both the driver and the amp in my VX-7, so I don't really need the current speaker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts