AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp my video on my TX-NR906 is fritzed, the component inputs (Wii only) are displaying jiggles and a bit before that the FM tuner quite all together. The Tuner part can not be replaced, and I got a quote of 504.00 to repair the video board.

I am tempted but started looking at other receivers and got my eye on the Sony STR-DA1800ES.

I am having a hard time deciding on if I am going to miss all the bells and whistles that the TX-NR906 provided, For only 150ish more would you get the new Sony STR-DA1800ES or repair the TX-NR906? I can deal without the FM tuner and was told that the replacement board is better built and should not die like the previous one.

Can you people give me some wisdom / insight?

Thank you so much.

Steve

·
Registered
553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]  /t/1519763/repair-or-replace#post_24406755

Welp my video on my TX-NR906 is fritzed, the component inputs (Wii only) are displaying jiggles and a bit before that the FM tuner quite all together. The Tuner part can not be replaced, and I got a quote of 504.00 to repair the video board.

I am tempted but started looking at other receivers and got my eye on the Sony STR-DA1800ES.

I am having a hard time deciding on if I am going to miss all the bells and whistles that the TX-NR906 provided, For only 150ish more would you get the new Sony STR-DA1800ES or repair the TX-NR906? I can deal without the FM tuner and was told that the replacement board is better built and should not die like the previous one.

Can you people give me some wisdom / insight?

Thank you so much.

Steve
I'd go with a new one with a new warranty - shop around for deals on the different models. If the old one were otherwise perfect, and pretty new, it might make it worth repairing, but what else is about to die?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the trigger, and repaired it fortunately I bought it cheap enough that after this repair cost , I am just under what the MSRP was when this unit first came out. I know me, I would want the current equivalent of what the TXNR906 and I couldn't fork out that kinda cash right now.

But with this whole experience, I will over look Onkyo as my next possible receiver

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]  /t/1519763/repair-or-replace#post_24413098

I pulled the trigger, and repaired it fortunately I bought it cheap enough that after this repair cost , I am just under what the MSRP was when this unit first came out. I know me, I would want the current equivalent of what the TXNR906 and I couldn't fork out that kinda cash right now.

But with this whole experience, I will over look Onkyo as my next possible receiver
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR906&class=Receiver

$2,299 MSRP

Figure street price at no less than 3/4 of that, declining to as little as 1/2 as a close out right before being discontinued.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts