AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemma and I hope you all can help. I have a 5 year old Hitachi 65G500 that recently stopped working. The right side of the screen started to concave inwards and then it went dark. I purchased the service manual and did some troubleshooting. With PPD6 connected, the power turns on and then immediately turns off. If I disconnect PPD6, the power turns on fine and you hear an audio click, but no picture. With PPD6 disconnected, I turn the power on and then off and 1 of the 4 Green LEDs goes out faster than the other 4. I think it is D964, which is the SW+9V Line. This tells you in the manual to take readings from several different points. I followed the flow chart and started to look for the points. I found some of them and then wondered what I was getting myself into. I have electronics experience, but I am no expert. So, I stopped fooling with it. I figured I was going to cause more harm than good.

This T.V. weighs 300 pounds and I live in a rural area. I can take it to a shop, but its 45 minutes away or pay that same shop $85 to drive out. The picture was nice before going bad, but I wonder if I should invest the money. Anything over $300-$400 to me is too much, especially when you can get a new Mitsubishi 65" DLP for $1199.

I wonder if this is something I can fix myself or if I should just scrap it.

Any troubleshooting information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Picture going concave could be convergence IC failure which can cause shutdown. Look around the IC's for toasted resistors, and with a meter they should be less than 10 ohms.

Check for shorted horizontal output transistor. If it's bad replace it and the flyback.

Disconnect the HV Anode leads one at a time to see if a bad crt is causing shutdown.

Other than that, component level troubleshooting is tough. A repair service will usually only give an estimate to replace a whole board. The most likely board is Deflection which is $350, but probably only available as pull & send for rebuild.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts