AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Marantz receiver that's needs to go to the shop. There's a Marantz authorized repair shop here but it gets bad reviews. There is also an established repair shop with great reviews. I would rather not take it to the Marantz shop. And since I'm not looking for warranty work there is no need to, right? I would imagine that the well reviewed shop could fix it just as good.

·
Registered
22,294 Posts
Given the complexities and multiple circuit boards some of which aren't really repairable, consider replacing the AVR. Repairing an AVR is a slippery slope that often ends in disappointment and wasted money.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
First, I would call Marantz and ask for a recommendation on repair shops in your area...maybe they have more than the one with bad reviews. If so, do as you've been doing which is research feedback on any new alternatives. That being said, since you are not limited to Marantz approved repair centers, as you already know you can go any where you want...so what is your reservations about taking your unit to the shop with good reviews?

It wouldn't hurt to contact the non-marantz shop and ask about their experience with marantz in general and if they have worked on your specific receiver. If not, then you might want to ask what the cost would be to provide a repair estimate on your unit...hopefully, if it's beyond their experience or capability they would be upfront about that...the good reviews should give you some confidence.

Another option is to send it out to an out of town authorized well reviewed repair center for repair...someone that Marantz can recommend over the phone (do they have an inhouse repair lab?).

Sorry for the generic answer, but I've only experienced issues with an in warranty projector repair and had to ship out of Kansas City...but to be honest I wouldn't want someone without experience with my model to work on it. I don't know how I would feel about receiver repairs..I guess it would depend on what needed repairs?

Ron

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Given the complexities and multiple circuit boards some of which aren't really repairable, consider replacing the AVR. Repairing an AVR is a slippery slope that often ends in disappointment and wasted money.
That maybe the best answer based on how less expensive receivers are now vs the cost of repairing what maybe an out of date older model receiver (with less of the new offerings).

·
Registered
12,190 Posts
I've got a Marantz receiver that's needs to go to the shop. There's a Marantz authorized repair shop here but it gets bad reviews. There is also an established repair shop with great reviews. I would rather not take it to the Marantz shop. And since I'm not looking for warranty work there is no need to, right? I would imagine that the well reviewed shop could fix it just as good.
Note that audio/video repair shops lose $ doing warranty work. They make the most $ on out-of-warranty repairs. Many of today's AVRs are mostly throwaways as they are not worth repairing and/or have been superceded by new technologies. If the warranty repair is simple such as a loose connector, bad soldering joint or blown fuse, anything more requires an indepth checkout and labor gets expensive. Besides today the AVRs are designed/assembled for production efficiency, getting access to certain PCBs and serviceability can be challenging.

Shop around...
There are still some well-experienced shops but they are becoming scarcer, note that they get top $ but if the components are vintage it may be worthwhile...

Jusr my $0.02.. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I want to make sure its not something simple first. The shops here offer a 65$ or so estimate that goes towards the cost of the repair.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
65$

I want to make sure its not something simple first. The shops here offer a 65$ or so estimate that goes towards the cost of the repair.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
what's the problem with the receiver?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Where are you located and what model is the receiver? If you're in the Midwest, call Electronic Express, in Chicago. They're on Fabyan Parkway. They're authorized to service most brands and I have sent a few Denon pieces there with good results.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what's the problem with the receiver?
I have a post on here that describes my problem....."Marantz sr 7200 bucking me a little"
any help would be much appreciated...i just figured it would be hard to figure it out without the receiver in front of you

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not worth repairing, so also not worth evaluating in a shop. Save yourself some time and just order a new one.
well if it was that easy it would be great. I just don't have the money 💵. I'm a Craigslist guy ,I'm sure you have a name for us, scooping up your handmedowns, hence my current situation probably. I only have 140 in it and was thinking if it was something simple it might make sense to repair it. Although, with the seemingly broad spectrum of the issues with the receiver it points to a more serious problem. The receiver worked well for weeks. O bought a Yamaha 1103 when it **** the bed on me. Truthfully the Yamaha meets the needs I have. I just really liked the Marantz. But it is out of service.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not worth repairing, so also not worth evaluating in a shop. Save yourself some time and just order a new one.
The Yamaha rv1103 is a "natural sound" touted receiver. Some reviews talk about its brightness. I swear I can hear it from hearing the Marantz for weeks. So now I'm looking for a model that is warmer. I know the sr7200 quit on me,but while it was in working order I loved it. I suffer from good taste and low budget. I just want a Marantz now and don't know why lol. Will you give me one of the ones you don't use any more?

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Yup. Unfortunately, when a component gets to a certain age it can be more cost effective to just buy a replacement.

HOWEVER, so much of the cost factor boils down the repair guy. There are some awesome old school techs out there with l33t diagnosing and soldering skillz. If you can find a guy like that, then it can be nice to have him on hand for fixing stuff here and there, but it always helps to have an idea what the problem is. In my experience, when it's a microchip failure, then yeah, usually not worth screwing with. However, 99% of my problems I've been able to fix myself, with problems like a cable that somehow became loose, dust got in a connector somehow (or corrosion), or sometimes a blown capacitor, resistor, diode, etc, which are pretty easy and cheap to replace.

Just for kicks, I've always had fun with basic diagnosis and repairs. My philosophy is that it's broken anyway so who cares if I mess up, right? Most times, I've been able to get old crap working again by some miracle because I am NOT a repair guy or skilled tech whatsoever. Sadly, good repair technicians are a dying breed in this new world of cheap and hard to repair electronics. Eventually, the go-to answer will ALWAYS be "you'll need to replace the motherboard or buy a whole new XYZ," and that makes me kind of sad. We've become such a throwaway culture with stuff that can sometimes be perfectly fine with a little dinking around.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
22,294 Posts
well if it was that easy it would be great. I just don't have the money 💵. I'm a Craigslist guy ,I'm sure you have a name for us, scooping up your handmedowns, hence my current situation probably. I only have 140 in it and was thinking if it was something simple it might make sense to repair it. Although, with the seemingly broad spectrum of the issues with the receiver it points to a more serious problem. The receiver worked well for weeks. O bought a Yamaha 1103 when it **** the bed on me. Truthfully the Yamaha meets the needs I have. I just really liked the Marantz. But it is out of service.
There's nothing wrong with surfing C-List and eBay for used gear, in fact its arguably the best value. That said, don't limit yourself to one brand in used gear, you'll miss out on great values. Anything from the past 3-4 years will have improved processing compared to older gear, and adequate PEQ capabilities to help tailor the sound to your likes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pioneer vsx 80

I was able to replace that Yamaha with a pioneer vsx-80-tvs. And I sent the Marantz to the shop to be evaluated. I figured I only have 140 on it if I can get it fixed for 100 or 150 that would be ok with me. At least I will know what happened to it. Thanks for all the advice guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts