AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. i would like to send my projector in for an estimate and possible repairs, and would very much appreciate it if some of the members here could recommend some good places to send it, as well as some places to avoid sending it. (i have an NEC VT540 and it projects only yellow light.) thanks very much.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
So anything you project is Yellow, even the projector's menu? The other colors are completely missing?

Or is this an uneven discoloration of the image, all colors present, just overshadowed by Yellow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoxia /forum/post/16967555

hello. i would like to send my projector in for an estimate and possible repairs, and would very much appreciate it if some of the members here could recommend some good places to send it, as well as some places to avoid sending it. (i have an NEC VT540 and it projects only yellow light.) thanks very much.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoxia /forum/post/16967555

It would be cheaper to just replace it. Just win one on ebay, labor would kill the cost to repair the unit.

Look here
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-MultiSync-VT...d=p3286.c0.m14

Or here
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-VT540-LCD-Pr...d=p3286.c0.m14

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there does not seem to be any red at all, and only a small amount of blue. when the projector is on without any input signal, the screen is actually more of a yellow-green than pure yellow. it is not an uneven discoloration of the image. also, the top third of the screen is somewhat darker than the bottom two-thirds, set off by a dark horizontal band. lastly, there is a faint, white ring pattern as well. when i press the menu button, i can see the rectangular pattern where it would be and can barely make out where the cursor highlight is...this pattern stands out as more of a pure yellow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 /forum/post/16968051

It would be cheaper to just replace it. Just win one on ebay, labor would kill the cost to repair the unit.

Look here
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-MultiSync-VT...d=p3286.c0.m14

Or here
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-VT540-LCD-Pr...d=p3286.c0.m14

yes, it appears you are right, it would most likely be cheaper to get one off of ebay. i was a bit reluctant to go that route because i thought that if i were to have this one repaired, i might be better off than buying another used one and then perhaps having to repair that one not far down the road.

i actually have a second one of these which also has a color problem; it has too much blue, the effect being most notable in a large, cloudlike area that begins along the right side of the screen and grows larger as the unit runs longer. but at least that one will display images.

i also have a supply of lamps for these and that is another reason i was interested in repairing them, but if the cost is too high for repair then perhaps i will just sell the lamps along with the projectors and get a new one.

thanks for the ebay links.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoxia /forum/post/16968583

i also have a supply of lamps for these and that is another reason i was interested in repairing them, but if the cost is too high for repair then perhaps i will just sell the lamps along with the projectors and get a new one.

I don't know what you use them for, and I don't know why/what you paid for the extra lamps, but don't fall into the trap I almost did: hanging on to a projector (or buying a duplicate used) just because you don't want to "eat" the extra lamp costs. Projectors are getting so much better and cheaper (with longer lamp life) that I even wonder if they've become "disposable". That is, would I replace a lamp again (due to age 5 years from now) or just buy another projector? BTW, after my old projector's replacement lamp lasted about the length of it's (90 day) warranty, I finally gave up and bought a new HD65 for about twice the cost of the old projector's lamp--and I couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton /forum/post/16974099

I don't know what you use them for, and I don't know why/what you paid for the extra lamps, but don't fall into the trap I almost did: hanging on to a projector (or buying a duplicate used) just because you don't want "eat" the extra lamp costs. Projectors are getting so much better and cheaper (with longer lamp life) that I even wonder if they've become "disposable". That is, would I replace a lamp again (due to age 5 years from now) or just buy another projector)? BTW, after my replacement lamp lasted about the length of it's (90 day) warranty about a year, I finally gave up and bought a new HD65 for about twice the cost of the old projector's lamp--and I couldn't be happier!

you raise an interesting possibility; we may be approaching that "disposability" threshold, or perhaps have just crossed into it. i believe i will go the route you did, which get a new projector. i'll sell this equipment and get what i can for it, and hopefully it will be enough or almost enough by itself to get a new projector. thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinoxia /forum/post/16979360

you raise an interesting possibility; we may be approaching that "disposability" threshold, or perhaps have just crossed into it. i believe i will go the route you did, which get a new projector. i'll sell this equipment and get what i can for it, and hopefully it will be enough or almost enough by itself to get a new projector. thanks for your insight.

IMO the problem is bulbs. If they would adjust the price of the bulbs to match the date of the projectors i think more people would justify salvaging them. There are hundreds of working projectors on e-bay that only need new bulbs but no one wants to spend what the owner wants plus the price of a replacement bulb. They want almost as much for a new bulb as the units are going for used working.

THey are not adjusting the price of the bulbs as the projectors age. Why i dont know

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16984630

THey are not adjusting the price of the bulbs as the projectors age. Why i dont know

Because the price to manufacture them does not change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts