AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My existing REL Strata from 15+ yrs ago is popping like crazy.

What causes the popping? A bad woofer ? The woofer itself is 10" Can I not just go and buy another woofer and fit it myself? Or is the popping a sign of the electronics playing up ? Sorry but I just don't know.. Common sense would tell me just the woofer. But I'm not an expert in this field.

The enclosure is perfect for my needs, so if I can do a bit of DIY myself and buy just the speaker to replace it with, then I'll be all set.

Advice please.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
At about the five year mark, one of my subwoofers intermittently made pop sounds that slowly became more frequent. I suspect that the power capacitors (plus possibly a few other parts needed to be replaced). If you are lucky you can look at capacitors and see if they are swelling (a sign that they are going bad).

In my situation, I just purchased a new plate amp. Both OAudio and Parts Express have good selections. You might check in with REL.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.