AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Followup to:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1149933

I finally bought a replacement DVD drive for my Sony RDR-VX500, a NEC HD-2510A, at a reasonable price. I pulled the old HD-2500A drive and plugged the new one in, and electrically everything works fine - at least for playback. I did not try recording though.

My main problem now is mechanical. When NEC OEMed the drive to Sony, Sony apparently ordered it without the black front panel to it. Nor did they install the earphone jack and volume control. However my new HD-2510A has all of the above. So I need to remove the NEC front panel, hopefully cleanly, so that the drive can mate properly with the Sonys front panel.

Anyone know the procedure for removing the front panel on the NEC drive? My first attempt was not successful...

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
I had an occasion to remove the front panel on a newer Sony DVD player. On this drive anyway I ejected the tray and then firmly grasped the tray. At the same time applied upward pressure to the tray front. After pushing quit hard it finally gave way and slid up.

Not sure if you drive is similar but on my drive it did require quite a bit of upward pressure to slide off, I thought I was going to break something which is what I actually did on the bad drive. On that one I tried pulling the front forward which broke one of the little plastic retainers. After I did that I knew how to remove the new drives front. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jjeff: I did it.

I plugged the drive into my computer. (Linux bootup recognized it without problem.) Ejected the tray, and then shut down the computer with the tray out. The front panel immediately loosened up, as the tray front is what holds it in place. And you are right - the tray front just needed a bit of upward pressure and it snaps out - allowing the front panel to be slipped out. I had to swap the tray fronts too, because the Sony one is a bit shorter in height.

All is now back in place, and SWMBO is happy. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
You guys are lucky to even find one of those drives now, when were they current about 2004 or so? It was like my 3rd dvd burner and one of my favorites.

I had the 2500 version but you could cross flash them and they also could do Dual Layer with a firmware update, one of the very first drives to do them

They burn older media with excellent quality but finding stuff that they still burn OK to is getting harder to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ebay is your friend.

I don't know if the newer Sony RDRs are the same way, but I think it is kinda neat that it just uses a (more or less) off-the-shelf IDE drive. If Sony had used some in-house custom drive, I'd probably have to e-waste the thing.

Now, of course, it has piqued my interest to see if some more modern IDE burner could be used in its place... Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Well NEC made quite a few newer IDE drives, their next step after those were the 3500 series which I also had and it was a nice burner as well, 16x and DL.

It's hard to say whether they will work, it's possible other IDE drive might work as well, you'd just have to try and see. It may be locked to 8x speed only and certain drives in the firmware, I do the Philips recorders and they use a proprietary burner so no real way yet to try anything else as it also uses special ribbon cable to the burner.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman /forum/post/17017836

Well NEC made quite a few newer IDE drives, their next step after those were the 3500 series which I also had and it was a nice burner as well, 16x and DL.

I continue to use NEC 3500 series DVD burners, the last of the genuine NEC burners. After the 3500 series NEC partnered with Sony and the newer products were sold under the OptiArc name, actually a continuation of the Sony product line and not as good as the genuine NEC 3500 series DVD burners.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I'm pretty sure their 4550 drives were still NEC and the new 7240 drive is a very nice burner that still uses a low power genuine NEC chipset in it. It's a 24x burner that does great quality to the few disks it likes at 24, and good to everything else too. I bought one and it worked nicely but we had a heatwave here for a week and it got overheated on the hottest day and now has issues.

I'm probably going to buy another one as soon as money picks back up it was so fast and burned so nicely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. For the moment, I'm set - since 99.9% of the time we use the unit for playback only.

However the reports I'm seeing about current recordable media not working with older DVDRs like the 2500 (and 2510?) is a bit unsettling. I've got a number of analog video tapes (both SVHS/VHS and some camcorder stuff) that I should copy to DVD.

Do you think the firmware updates on the 2510 (vs the 2500) are enough to work with the modern media? Or should I be looking for a 3500 or newer?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.