AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Possibly due to a recent power outage, I have a PSB Subsonic 5 sub that is no longer working properly.

Options for diagnosing and/or repairing? What do folks do when a speaker no longer under warrantee fails to operate correctly? Given that this was a $500sub when purchased, I don't want to spend a lot of money for repair.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 /forum/post/15466744

Greetings,

Possibly due to a recent power outage, I have a PSB Subsonic 5 sub that is no longer working properly.

Options for diagnosing and/or repairing? What do folks do when a speaker no longer under warrantee fails to operate correctly? Given that this was a $500sub when purchased, I don't want to spend a lot of money for repair.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried replacing the fuse? If the sub amp is bad the fuse will blow again. I have heard of people buying an inexpensive plate amp, but I will have to leave the details to someone else.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't tried any repair yet. I will take a closer look at the sub.

-- Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/15467111

Have you tried replacing the fuse? If the sub amp is bad the fuse will blow again. I have heard of people buying an inexpensive plate amp, but I will have to leave the details to someone else.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would be cautious about getting a generic amp because the PSB's amp might have equalization or other processing designed specifically for the Subsonic 6.

I have one with a broken dustcap. I think I'm just going to stick a bigger dustcap on, because I called and they want $215 plus shipping for a replacement woofer.

Does anyone know how long the foam lasts on these things? My foam was fine last time I checked, but I haven't checked it recently.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Take the amp out and take a look. It could be a fuse or a capacitor. A few years ago, my old infinity sub was not working. I took the amp out and found a blown cap. I couldn't tell what size it was, because it was burnt. I called Harmon and told them what the number on the board next to that specific cap was. They told what size it was. I bought a new cap (actually two), soldered it in, and it worked again. The funny thing is, it is not working right now, although it is in a spare room and I don't really use it, but seeing this thread made me look into my computer desk drawer, and there was that extra cap I bought. Looks like I have some soldering to do tonight. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts