AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note: Several members have posted asking how to get UTVs repaired. Here's RCA's policy:

RCA does not repair them per se, but offers a swap-out program for $149.95. I don't have the phone number handy but start here:

http://www.ultimatetv.com/support.asp

The phone number has changed from the one listed, but you will get the new one when you call.

You have 2 options with them:

1) give them a credit card number and they will charge it $149.95 plus a $600 hold. They will ship the replacement UTV within a couple of days. On the side of the shipping box is a pre-paid UPS ground return label. When they get your old UTV back, they will release the $600 hold on the card. I think you have 10 days to get the old one delivered to them.

2) send your old UTV in first. They will only charge the $149.95 and not put the hold on your card. Note that this way takes 2-3 weeks.

The replacement UTV comes with a 90 day warranty, but no card, no remote, nothing else but a power cord. DirecTV will change your subscription for the old card to the new UTV with no problems.

I suspect that the replacements are re-furbs, although they look new. By the way, they are shipping with the 3.7 software already installed.

After my original post, a couple of members suggested adding info regarding DirecTV's protection plan and Sony repair service. Although I have not investigated either, here are the links to check out:

DirecTV's plan:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packag...ction_plan.jsp

Another member reported that Sony's charge for repair is $88.77 including shipping and tax. This is not a swap-out, but a repair. It looks like you can input the model number at the link below and obtain the repair cost:

http://www.sel.sony.com/service/plsql/rma.inquiry

or

http://products.sel.sony.com/SEL/service/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sony has a flat rate repair service. It costs $88.77 including shipping and tax. They do actually repair your unit and send it back. My recorded shows came back on the disk. I guess it depends on the failure whether the disk gets re-imaged or not.

You can set up the entire repair through this link
Sony Repair

As much as I dislike the Sony unit vs the RCA, the repair cost difference is a nice upside to the Sony.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
 Truett Electronics says they will repair either the RCA or Sony model for a flat rate of $80 plus return shipping and they also claim 24 hour turn around. I have not used them yet, but I am probably going to send both my units (RCA and Sony) in for repair. I'll let the forum know the results.

Jay

·
Registered
54 Posts
WoW! I've been looking everywhere for this capability. My RCA dwd490re is being shipped today. Thank you Thank you Thank you! I can not tell you how important this is. RCA will not take one once the case has been opened. AZBill

·
Registered
54 Posts
They can be reached by email at [email protected] . They repaired my unit and shipped it on Fri, I am waiting to get it back and check out before I say anything about the service. BTW - I made a mistake of shipping it overnight UPS, cost me $66. AZBill

·
Registered
354 Posts
azbill,

Website says $80 does not include cost of tuners. Get yours back yet?

Work OK?

What was cost with tuners?

Has anyone else used this service (dssrepair.com) yet? Work out OK?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was out of town for a few days. Just installed the UTV last evening, it works. What they did I'm not sure, the tuners were ok though. The reader was broke, so I know they replaced it. It also had a resister or something burned out on the motherboard. I have asked them for an explanation of what they had to do to get it up. If there are any surprises I'll post it. The cost was $80 plus $18 for shipping. AZBill

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone know how they handle UTV replacements when one has extended warranty and a DTV service plan? Supposed to be free replacement. Even without the warranty and plan, if I had to pay $150 for a rebuilt replacement, it might be just enought to push me over to the $99 DirecTivo offer that is going on right now, though I love my UTV and think it is superior to Tivo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know how the DTV's Protection Plan works if you've put in a bigger drive and you need the unit fixed? Do you have to put the original drive back in? How can they tell if you've cracked the thing open?

-- thx

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have dealt with Thomson in Texas 580-883-2060 and have had two DWD490's replaced. The cost for this service is $75.00, they ship you one with a return label and you just send back the broken one.

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called Thompson and the cost to replace a unit was 149 + Taxes.. They informed me that unless it was still under warranty then a refurbished unit is 149 and not $75

Its only $75 if its under warranty

Thanks

Macusers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Truett Electronics says they no longer repair Ultimate TVs due to the fact

that 95 percent of them are damaged in shipment because the circuit boards are so thin and flimsy. Just got an email from them yesterday.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With new Tivos at under $200, looks more and more like it will soon be time to jump ship. I pre-ordered a HD Tivo this weekend (April delivery), so as my 4 UTVs die, I guess I will replace them with Tivos.

Funny, when I bought my first UTV, Tivo was nearly bankrupt, they only had promises of enabling the second tuner, and I decided to "trust" Microsoft. Their abandonment of a superior product to Tivo shows that that trust was grossly misplaced.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

So for those wanting UTVs till they MUST go to TIVO... they should consider the DTV Protection Plan.

Cost of replacements (UTV or Tivo) are covered in monthly fee.

1 year Commitment can be canceled for $10.

$6-8 a month protection fee. (after 30 blackout)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is there any place in Canada where you can get one fixed?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts