AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn:

"I have a group of about 25 or so DVDs which I go back to over and over. Do you guys do this and if so why ?"

Sure, do it all the time. Love them flicks immensely...

-THTS

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
You see, Art, the trick is to only buy DVD's that will join that elete group. ;)

Take this rueful advice from someone who has thousands of beta tapes recorded for that day when he would be able to fully appreciate them, and who now finds himself without a properly functioning player, and with waning interest in watching them anyhoo.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I find myself popping in things like "Ronin", "Mystery Men", "The Big Lebowski", "The Thomas Crown Affair", "Heat", "Jurrasic Park", i.e. mindless stuff that I can watch with the brain out of gear. I watch a lot of very heavy stuff, of the type that you don't just pop in for casual viewing. So when I want to just stick something in before I go to bed to zone out or just to have fun having a home theater, I'll grab those light entertainment ones.

I've watched all of the 'heavy' ones many times also, but I don't just stick them in for fun. I've got a few that were kind of misfires that I've not really watched more than once, but they are very few, and some of those are ones that I got to review back in my DVDVerdict.com days.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Where do I start I have watched THEM made in 1954 over 250 times. The movie is all action, no romance.

Dirty Dancing I am glad they came out with the disc I skip over the pregnancy part all the time. My vhs tape was worn by using fast forward in play but discs ah that's a different story. Chapter 8 Baby sees Johnnie Castle and the song Do you love me my favorite in 1963 and in the movie.

Cutaway mostly action about skydiving, great colorful shots over Miami Beach and the ocean.

Fleetwood Mac The Dance favorite Chapter 20 when USC marching band joins FM for hit song Tusk.

The Jazz Singer can't get enough of singer Neil Diamond or Lucy Arnez

James Bond all of them especially "The Living Daylights"

Star Trek I can never get enough of the favorite for over 37 years

Hackers good plot, great music, and nice hair cut on Angelina Jolie at age 20

The Final Countdown, The Changeling, Raise The Titanic all 3 were made in 1980

Nice thread Art I am proud to know a guy like you. I got to get me that krell music compression, to get rid of my 2 bulky CD Mega Jukeboxs. lol :)

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mainly what I'm looking for is what brings you back over and over to those certain discs in your collections. I find that my stress level mood etc can all effect what comes off the shelf. I love my biblical epics almost as much as Frank and certainly the classic sci fi like Forbidden Planet(maybe more than Hob), Journey to the Far Side of the Sun, Alien,When Worlds Collide and older Bond films.I also love some of the films from the golden age of Hollywood. I just was wondering what and why certain types of films draw you guys back again and again?

Art

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I don't know I think we are even, unless of course you can honestly tell which movie you have seen over 200+ times mine is the 1954 THEM (Big Ants) that movie I think I could recognize any scene not the 24 P but any scene. 2nd would be Forbidden

Planet, with a close 3rd being almost all of the ST:TOS episodes watched again also on syndicated stations.

Rest are in the 40 to 175 times range, The Wraith 1986 is the 175 times movie which I think will go over the THEM movie as The Wraith is in color and has dolby surround sound, with a young Charlie Sheen and Sherilyn Fenn with that black PPG turbo pace car with futuristic stylng. Too late to see it tonight but tommorow there's no mail, I can watch it in stretch is was recorded on Maxell Professional Tape in SP mode.

R2 has a disc but still no R1, maybe I should talk to *speedy* veteran film makers like Pacific Family Entertainment. I wish we all would get that disc, so we could stop moaning about a company, that just can't keep to a schedule. :)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
What brings me back are a number of things:

Films that made a big impression on Dogfood in his childhood, when he was Puppychow.

Lucas, for one, is very interested in the scholarship of Joseph Campbell on Myths and the universality of certain themes on Humankind. One of the reasons the Star Wars sextet (potential nonette?) grabs hold is its population with the archetypes of mythology: the young hero and his life journey, the trickster, the old wise man, warriors, clowns, many more Dogfood cannot recall . Mythic films continue to fascinate- and I don't just mean films about mythology like Jason and the Argonauts, either.

Films that leave one with a positive message. I know life doesn't always work out happily, and maybe this is why the ones I return to fly in the face of the frequent tragedy of life. American films take this conceit to an extreme, however, and essentially do an inverse desensitivation of the public to where they demand happy endings.

Coming-of-age films. An extremely potent subset of the great mythic themes.

Epics. Films you can really get your teeth into. Usually long, and, oddly, can violate the "has to have a happy ending" requirement.

Fantasy/sci-fi/horror. People seem to yearn for something that takes them away from reality.

Mystical. Films that deal with the transcendental or the religious experience, a subset of the Mythic, frequently worked out in fantasy or sci-fi or epic form. Some of Dogfood's faves: The Ruling Class, Last Temptation of Christ, Barabbas, A Matter of Life and Death, 8 1/2, Lawrence of Arabia, Andrei Rublev, Close Encounters, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Major Barbara, The Passion of Joan of Arc, any of a number of Ingmar Bergman films, and various British "long forms" such as I Claudius and Edge of Darkness.

Great War films. The elemental, ultimate sport of males. Not too appreciated by females.

Film Noir. Films made for the returning GI's from WWII, as solice for men who found that peace completely lacked the transcendent excitement of being involved in the greatest conflict in the history of the planet. Plus, the films have held up extremely well, even/especially the "B's.

Cartoons.

Great World Cinema. Some are so heavy they are essential viewing, but you only want to see them once, or once every decade or so. Still, some are so heavy you have to have them around so whenever you might have that urge...

Anyway, these are the things that click for old Dogfood.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Tonight was a good example. I was burning out on the computer and wanted something to really wash my soul clean, so I watched Shakespeare in Love. I've seen it 10 times at least, but I was completely lost in it again, and I feel like I've had a Karma massage now.

Other than the ones I mentioned above, which I just pop in for a laugh or 'wow I have a home theater' type trips, I'm really looking for something that is going to move me, make me laugh and cry, completely suck me into it, and leave me wrung out afterwards. Though I guess there are exceptions, anything that you wouldn't watch more than once can't really be that great to you. Some might just be too painful or something, but other than that, if you really love it, the fact that you already know the storyline isn't a problem for enjoying it again and again. I mean everyone knew how Apollo 13 was going to end before they even saw it the first time, but it was still an incredible film (and another on my list of common repeat viewers.)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The ones I like to re-watch are the ones I didn't necessarily "get" the first times, or ones where it really takes a second or third viewing to really appreciate the characters or the humor. In no particular order, some of my rewatchers are:

Rushmore

The Big Lebowski

Office Space

Shakespeare in Love

Sense and Sensibility

Chinatown

Groundhog Day (naturally)

Amadeus

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.