AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I currently own a PT-AX200U that I purchased in 2008. It has worked very well for me over the years but, after my recent quote of $425 for a bulb replacement from Panasonic, I am considering upgrading the projector. I realize I could find a bulb for less but, after a particularly bad experience with a bulb from Amazon, I am very apprehensive. I am hoping for some advice or at least a nudge in a direction.

I am thinking that upgrading to 1080p would be worth while by itself but with so many to choose from I worried I will get the wrong product. I would like 3D but it's not required. I saw the Benq W1070 on Amazon for $653 and the Optoma GT1090 for $699. Considering this is less than half of what I paid for my projector it also sounds too good to be true.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Dont bother with a overpriced replacement lamp for a 720p unit. Go with the Benq W1070. Easy choice.
My son recently replaced his old projector that was about the age of yours. I saw them hooked up side by side and the difference was night and day. Much brighter and more vivid colors. Put the money toward a new projector.

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
I also have a PT-AX200U which was the brightest 720p projector with a quality image available at the time. All the reviews agreed that it was awfully close to 1080p quality, and mine still produces a great image. It also has things like a 2:1 zoom and substantial vertical and horizontal lens shift, which you will not find in any current entry level projector. So if you need those features the decision about whether to replace the lamp or buy a new projector is not an easy one.

I elected about a year ago to pay about $300 for a genuine OEM replacement lamp from a reliable vendor and put off my new projector purchase another couple of years. It's always a gamble with an older projector because internal components could fail at any time and it would not be worth investing more money to repair it. But I thought it was a good gamble based on the overall quality of the PT-AX200U and I haven't regretted my decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have a PT-AX200U which was the brightest 720p projector with a quality image available at the time. All the reviews agreed that it was awfully close to 1080p quality, and mine still produces a great image. It also has things like a 2:1 zoom and substantial vertical and horizontal lens shift, which you will not find in any current entry level projector. So if you need those features the decision about whether to replace the lamp or buy a new projector is not an easy one.

I elected about a year ago to pay about $300 for a genuine OEM replacement lamp from a reliable vendor and put off my new projector purchase another couple of years. It's always a gamble with an older projector because internal components could fail at any time and it would not be worth investing more money to repair it. But I thought it was a good gamble based on the overall quality of the PT-AX200U and I haven't regretted my decision.
Dave, you addressed my biggest concerns. My projector is slightly over 18' from my 120" screen. I have the projector on a bookcase that has worked perfectly for this setup. I have utilized the zoom feature as well as the vertical lens shift. I had used the horizontal shift in the past but don't really need it now with my current setup. The Benq W1070 says it has vertical shift however I didn't see anything about zoom. Regardless, based on what I read at projectorcentral.com, at 18' my screen would need to be 190" for the W1070. Am I interpreting that correctly? If that's the case this model, while highly reviewed, will not function for me. Can anyone recommend a projector that will function with my current setup while having a decent price?

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
John, if you want to retain an 18' throw, others have reported that the longer throw equivalent of the BenQ W1070 is the Vivitek H1186-WT. It has no horizontal lens shift but does have about 14% vertical lens shift, which is about 9" on a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen. It will fill that 120" screen from a range of 12'1" to 18'2" according to the Projection Calculator Pro at ProjectorCentral.com. I have no experience with either of those projectors but they're both highly rated by others. You can run various projectors through Projection Calculator Pro to see what else might work. Here's a link to the calculator with the H1186-WT entered as the projector: Link

1 - 6 of 6 Posts