AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bulb is slowly dying in my XGA Toshiba TLP 650. At a cost of $385 I was thinking it might be best to sell the projector and go for one of the new low cost PJs, like the X1. I'd like to have a widescreen PJ and I see the X1 has a 16:9 mode which would make it perfect.

So, what do you think. Opinions are welcome. My only thoughts are that I'd like blacker blacks and widescreen which I can't get with my current PJ. My room is a dedicated HT so I don't have any light issues.

Thanks for your help.

ccarrigan

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got a TLP-670, and I guess the pq is about the same as yours except its a little brighter. My brother has a X1 so I've seen both.

In my opinion the X1 has much better colors, the TLP produces very harsh colors. Skin colors on the TLP are just bad when compared to the X1.

And of course the X1 has much better contrast and much less screendoor.

But the X1 is not 16/9 native. It wont do any better at 16/9 than your tlp.

Still, at $385 I would sell the tlp and buy a X1. The X1 is made for home theater, its more silent and really gives you a cinema feeling. The tlp should only be used for presentations and will only give you a 'at least its a big picture' feeling.

btw

Did you ever change your bulb before? I need to know how to reset my lamp hour counter, the 'lamp>2000hrs' at power up is bugging me :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To get that message to go away you can hit the PJ power button one time (two times shuts if off). One time makes it go away and not come back.

If you put the X1 in 16:9 mode does it stop the top and bottom bar light output or does it just show a picture in a 16:9 window in a 4:3 light space? If it's just the window that is ok, but canceling the light output and making it a standard 16:9 output would be much better. Thanks for the reply.

ccarrigan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wont the message come back when you unplug the pj?

Another question while I'm at it :) how do you know your bulb is at eol?

I got my TLP 2nd hand and the bulb looks as new although the counter is at over 2000hrs. Its is also very bright and i dont get any flickering in brightness so I guess it has been replaced without resetting the counter.

The thing that bugs me most on the tlp is the lack of blacks. So this weekend I opened mine up and found a variable resistor in the PSU for the bulb. I readjusted the power consumption of the bulb from 150W to 130W which should increase bulb life to about 2800hrs. The picture is somewhat darker now so my blacks have improved.

(To lower bulb wattage turn the vr COUNTER clockwise. If you want to do this open up the PJ by removing all visible screws on both sides of the PJ, including one next to the VGA connector. Also remove the screws from the back of the PJ. Remove 2 tiny screws on the grille at the front and take the grill off by sliding it to the side. Remove the now visible screw. Lift the cover at the side of the handle first then take it off. Remove the 2 screws that keep the PSU in place (PSU is covered by a transparent piece of plastic). The vr is visible at the rear end of the PSU. Use a marker pen to mark the current position. Turn it counter clockwise some 10 degrees for 130W or more if you like. Use pressurized air to clean everything, mine had lots of dust in the PSU and on the fans. (Keep the can vertical, you do not want any liquids!) Assembe in reverse order to disassembling)

(How i measured the wattage of the bulb:

Presumptions and constants: bulb is set at 150W at factory

230V line voltage (europe)

I split a mains cable and cut one live wire to connect my multimeter set at 20A alternating current.

Fired up the PJ and took a reading when it was at full brightness (0.88A = 202W)

Turned it off and took another (0.11A=25W) with all fans running

Power consumed by bulb+psu = 202-25=177W.

The bulb itself should use 150W so the PSU uses 27W so the PSU has an efficiency of 85%

Readjusted the vr and measured again (0.78A = 179.4W)

So the power used by the bulb+PSU is (0.78-0.11)*230 = 154.1W

At 85% efficiency the bulb itself now uses 130.9W

Current going through the bulb is lowered by 16%, resulting in approx. 30% longer life (and 30% lower light output))

I've included this for the diy'ers here. Dont do this when you are unsure or you value your PJ above everything. (I value mine at 20 euro's, that all i paid for mine :) )

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've started getting a duller and less bright picture and am above the 2000 hours. I was thinking I might get $600 for the projector on Ebay and then I could look in to an X1.

Yes, the message will come back after you unplug but it does work to get the message to go away quickly after you turn it on.

ccarrigan

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you want a better picture then go for the X1, its a lot better. I am a little worried about long time viewing on the X1 though. I can see the rainbow effect clearly and it makes me feel dizzy. I'm not sure if I could watch it a whole evening without getting too dizzy or maybe even some headache.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard that there are some mods to the X1 that make the rainbows go away (mostly). Do you know if you can set the X1 to only produce light in the 16:9 area so there doesn't need to be masking, or does the 16:9 mode just show up in a windows inside a 4:3 light area?

ccarrigan

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know. If i remember correctly the 16/9 setting transforms a 4:3 source to 16/9 and will project 'normal' blacks at the top & bottom.

(Grey bars at top & bottom, but a lot darker than on a tlp)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it works similar to my current PJ. That's too bad. However, the blacker blacks would be nice and I'd have a new toy which is always lots of fun. I'll see if this one sells on Ebay for enough to put money down on an X1. Thanks for your help.

ccarrigan

·
Registered
11 Posts
We just bought an X1 and have watched it on a white wall, and a sort of fake screen while we're waiting for the rest of the stuff to try a DIY, so we can decide if we feel like we want to buy a more expensive screen.

By that description, I am NOT an X1 expert, but I can say that it has 3 aspect modes, 4:3, 16:9, and Native (which is NTSC only). To my eyes, the Native mode seemed to look the best, BUT I think that was just smoke and mirrors, because the native picture is smaller, and therefore, a bit brighter. 16:9 stretches things out, to my eyes, and I don't think it makes widescreen DVDs play better. Based on 2 nights of movie viewing, I am under the assumption that people with the X1 use it in 4:3 mode at all times and just mask the top and bottom, because in native mode there's a LOT of grey light projected around the sides of the image. Enough that for an 80" diagonal screen (I've read that 80-90" is optimal for this pj) you'd need a good foot or so of masking material on the sides as well as whatever you do to mask top and bottom.

In 4:3 mode, I'm completely blown away by how good this looks. We watched the Bears lose to the ViQueens last night, and then I watched Carnivale (new HBO show) which was wide screen... haven't set all of our components up yet, so I just watched satellite source... I was impressed.

I'm actually going to start a thread to get advice on what mode people X1 in, and that will probably answer your question, with luck. X1 picture, even on our totally goofed fake screen looks better than some movie theaters I've paid to watch at. As far as rainbows, I have figured out what I have to do to see them, but in normal viewing it's uncommon for me to see them (maybe 4 or 5 in a whole movie... granted I've only watched part of Moulin Rouge, all of SpiderMan, the Fifth Element, and Three Kings) and they're not very distracting to me... I'm not coming to DLP via CRT FPs... I think if I had a $5000 pj and saw rainbows it'd bother me more... but I have a hunch that the only way you get bothered by rainbows (unless you're the headache/eyestrain type, in which case I don't think it's the rainbows but rather the picture that's getting you) is if you're watching a movie to critique the picture, instead of getting immersed in the film. Still a totally valid reason to reject the X1, but the rainbows didn't impact my enjoyment at all.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You are going backwards in terms of panel resolution. Expect the x1 (800x600) to have more screendoor and pixellation than your current pj (1024 x 768).

The x1 is a great value by the way at 1K. I went from a sony 400q (1066 x480) to the x1. I found the 400q to have much less screendoor but it had crap contrast. so, I guess it is a tradeoff. So I had to make my screen slightly smaller to make screendoor less noticable.

James

·
Registered
238 Posts
The X1 does, indeed, 'insert' the 16:9 picture within a 4:3 frame. It has to, since it doesn't contain a 16:9 chip. It sill produces a very nice 16:9 image, in most owners' opinion .. mine included. :)

The 'bars' are, IMHO, very unobtrusive. They can't be made to be entirely invisible, but with black masking most folks find the picture more than acceptable. There's enough contrast available with the X1 that the bars become a -very- dull grey .. certainly not 'black', but not bad, either. Barely there, is how I would say they look to me.

YMMV, of course.

Ron Yost .. extremely happy X1 owner.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have lots of black velvet for just that purpose. I just didn't want any surprises before I purchased it. I'd love a native 16:9 PJ but think the X1 may give me the most bang for my buck.

ccarrigan

·
Registered
36 Posts
The X1 really has less screendoor than the XGA tlp. The spaces between the R/G/B sub-pixels are VERY large (and the X1 doesn't have any sub-pixels)

The only time you will miss the XGA resolution is when you connect the X1 to a PC for some browsing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's really only for viewing movies and such, so I don't have any worries of browsing the internet. I have many other computers for that task. :D It seems like everyone who uses an X1 enjoys it so I don't think I have much to lose. Plus, my Ebay auction is doing well so far so I might have enough to put a bunch down (at Best Buy) and card the rest (I still have tax money to send to the govmt). :rolleyes:

ccarrigan

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I own a TLP 650. I'm surprised no more people have one.

I would get the X1 to replace the TLP 650 because even at XGA, the TLP has more screendoor effect and the colors are washed. This would be my third bulb change. I have a dark red circle in the middle. The bulb is well over 2500 hours.

Richer color and actually less of a screendoor effect. The only thing is you will notice a darker picture on the X1 since the TLP 650 always has its full 1100 lumens on where the X1 will have 700 lumens after you turn off the white segment.

For me going from the TLP 650 to the X1 is the lumens. I always have some ambient light and the drop in lumens dont help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
This would be my third bulb change
Does this mean you are going to tell us how to reset the lamp hour counter??? ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.