AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Epson 1080ub has recently (past couple of weeks) starting displaying 'replace bulb' on the screen when I fire it up.

The picture still seems to be fine. Am I fine to just keep using the current bulb? Or is there any reason I should replace it. What are indicators (other than number of hours) that the bulb should be replaced?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The picture may SEEM fine, but as a lamp ages, it drops in output. So by the time a lamp is ready for replacement, it will have lost at least 75% - 85% of it's output. There is nothing wrong with using the lamp until it fails. Or the image degrades so much that you finally can't stand it. But once you DO replace it, the difference will be so dramatic that you'll wonder why you waited so long.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ You are probably right. I've likely just gotten used to it. I have a spare bulb anyways, guess I will put it in and hopefully be amazed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is there any rough guide on how much a lamp dims over time?

Like a lamp thats said to last 2500 hours in eco-mode would loose 20% of brigthness at 1000-hour mark, 50% at 2000 hour mark and 80% at 2400 hour mark?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
No, because the rate of degradation varies from lamp to lamp. Take 2 lamps, identical, OEM and run them both for the same number of hours and there will be a difference between the two.

The only constant is that they will degrade and put out a LOT less light at the end of life. Some just reach it sooner.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just changed. Haven't watched anything yet, only browsed through my movie libarary. There is indeed a big difference.

Funny what you get used to if things go soft in small increments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts