AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation. I've had my Pioneer Elite HD-510 since 1999. I love this TV. It's piture is awesome (HD/SD) and has all the inputs I need (including non-crippled RGB/VGA for my HTPC). Unfortunately, I have developed an unacceptable level of burn-in due to those damn TV station logos/images. I found a reputable technician who is willing to replace all 3 tubes for $2000. On the other hand, I could get a new TV.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hmmm, how bad is the burn in?

If the burn in isnt too bad, I would consider unloading the TV for 800 or 900 bucks, and taking that and the 2 grand to purchase a new one.

If the burn in is too bad, I would pay the 2 grand. You will basically have a new set after the process. And picture technology hasn't advanced enough to warrant any more money spent.

-spazzman

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spazzman, 'How bad is it?' How can you tell? It's eating away my brain like a termite although it's possible that others may find it acceptable.

Judging from your response, you seem to be saying that a new $2800/2900 TV would be a better deal than a "new"/4-yr old Elite 510?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
rbmcgee,

To be honest with you, when the Elite x10s came out Pioneer was head and shoulders above the rest of the RP-CRT market. Absolutely stunning pictures, good on all sources, etc.

Since that time, however, the rest of the world has caught up. The new Elites are much better than the x10s (yes, picture technology has progressed quite a bit) but these are starting to hit the wall in terms of how much better you can make a CRT-based picture.

The net net of this, IMHO, is that I would tend to want to look at some new sets if I were in your shoes, including taking a look at some of the no-burn-in technologies that are available. If you watched enough stuff with logos to ruin your set in 4 years then your viewing habits may suggest this as necessary. $2-3K can get some pretty nifty looking sets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.