AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!

Ive been thinking for the past couple of weeks to upgrade to a new AVR. The Denon 4308 is setup in a 5.2 system. Heres a pic



Anyways the denon has been rock solid. Is it the right time to upgrade? I was thinking of yamaha 2020 not a bad price..Is the yamaha on the same level with the 4308?

Or another denon..

what do you guys think?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr/0_100#post_24127559


Or another denon..

Just put a Denon AVR4520ci on order. It is currently being held hostage by UPS.


The 4520ci has an uber solid, 4ohm capable, reference level playback capability with XT32 and SubEQ HT to aid with room acoustics. Got a screaming good deal from JD at AVS sales.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Beeman

I was considering the 4520 everywhere Ive looked all about MSRP. Is the 4520 that much better then the 4308? I honestly use the audessy mic to set everything up. But I disable all room eq to off. To my ears sounds more dynamic and powerful. What I currrently like bout the 4308 is I can adjust speaker trim levels on the fly..the 4520 does not correct? Have to go into the main menu..

what about the denon x4000?

I am only using the avrs amps for zone 2 &3

Will my dual svs sb13 ultras benefit alot from sub eq?

xpa 5

xpa 2

polk rti a9

polk csi a6

polk rci 85

dual svs sb13 ultras
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr#post_24127688


What I currrently like bout the 4308 is I can adjust speaker trim levels on the fly..the 4520 does not correct? Have to go into the main menu..

what about the denon x4000?

You can adjust the speaker levels without going into the main menu on the Yamaha 2020. I bought my 2020 because I saw many people rave about the build quality of the AVENTAGE line. I was also considering the Denon x4000. I can't compare Yamaha's ypao against xt32, as I've never had an avr that had xt32. Most people on avsforum seem to favor it over ypao, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really JD? I wish I could get a 4520 for a decent price..

Will I notice an improvement in sound going from the 4308 to the 4520? or no...is it that much better?? Thanks for your opinion!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr#post_24128265


You can adjust the speaker levels without going into the main menu on the Yamaha 2020. I bought my 2020 because I saw many people rave about the build quality of the AVENTAGE line. I was also considering the Denon x4000. I can't compare Yamaha's ypao against xt32, as I've never had an avr that had xt32. Most people on avsforum seem to favor it over ypao, though.

How do you like your Yamaha 2020? How's the sound quality, video processing? Why did you choose the 2020 over the 1020 or say the 3020?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr#post_24128811


How do you like your Yamaha 2020? How's the sound quality, video processing? Why did you choose the 2020 over the 1020 or say the 3020?

It has zero issues with pushing my Focals to reference level. I'm not into all the DSP modes. I listen to music and movies in straight decode. It sounds great.


I don't mess with the video processing. I think it is on, but I don't know if it makes the picture noticeably better or not.


I wanted 9 channels, which is why I was not looking at the 1020. I have 7.1 in my theater plus speakers outside to listen to music while cooking on the Big Green Egg and having some beer (my other big hobby).


The only reason I was considering the x4000 was xt32. A local best buy had my 2020 as an open box, so I never really considered the 3020.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr/0_100#post_24128806


Really JD? I wish I could get a 4520 for a decent price..

Now that I have our 4520ci, in the mail, I'm telling everybody to give JD a call so they can find out what he can do for them. The amplifier section of the 4520ci is so robust, you might find you can sell your Emotiva Amps.


-
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
92,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr/0_100#post_24128806


Really JD? I wish I could get a 4520 for a decent price..

Will I notice an improvement in sound going from the 4308 to the 4520? or no...is it that much better?? Thanks for your opinion!

All one need do as BeeMan458 suggests is to call. Virtually everyone that has upgraded from XT to XT32 has had a very noticeable and positive experience to include a few who did not like the XT that is on your 4308CI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr#post_24129119


Now that I have our 4520ci, in the mail, I'm telling everybody to give JD a call so they can find out what he can do for them. The amplifier section of the 4520ci is so robust, you might find you can sell your Emotiva Amps.


-
Idk about that


the xpa 2 and 5 are great love the way my polks sound
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr#post_24129088


It has zero issues with pushing my Focals to reference level. I'm not into all the DSP modes. I listen to music and movies in straight decode. It sounds great.


I don't mess with the video processing. I think

it is on, but I don't know if it makes the picture noticeably better or not.


I wanted 9 channels, which is why I was not looking at the 1020. I have 7.1 in my theater plus speakers outside to listen to music while cooking on the Big Green Egg and having some beer (my other big hobby).


The only reason I was considering the x4000 was xt32. A local best buy had my 2020 as an open box, so I never really considered the 3020.
Thanks JC for responding

thats good to.know that the amo section is strong..but im.not gonna use it only for zone 2 &3

speaker in garage and outside deck where i spend entertaining

love grillin n drinkjng beer too I would have to say thats one of my hobbies lol

i guess the only way one is to know is to try it out...if I can find a 2020 on the egg for a good deal i might go for it

i think im gonna try the 4520 also..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr/0_100#post_24129219


Idk about that


the xpa 2 and 5 are great love the way my polks sound
Check out this review.


" I initially intended on reviewing it and then selling it, but instead I have already sold my Onkyo 5508, XPA-3 amp and XPA-1 monoblocks."


The above is where I got the idea from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Anthem makes a nice receiver... 510 or the 310 if you plan on using external amps and a 5.1 setup. Both have the new ARC and is superior to Audyssey in my opinion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr#post_24129292

Check out this review.


" I initially intended on reviewing it and then selling it, but instead I have already sold my Onkyo 5508, XPA-3 amp and XPA-1 monoblocks."


The above is where I got the idea from.

REALLY??

that's crazy, so you are saying power amps are not needed ??
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007  /t/1508153/replace-denon-4308-with-what-worthy-avr/0_100#post_24129425


REALLY??

that's crazy, so you are saying power amps are not needed ??

The 4520ci has a very robust amplifier section that can handle reference level play at 4 ohms and outboard Amps (separates) are not needed.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top