Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frustrated yes!

Here's why. In a recent thread you may have read that I purchased a Panasonic TH-42PX20U for my husband as a gift. He is soon to return from Afghanistan this coming week and has a birthday in the wings at the end of the month.

Silly me thought this would be a grand idea for a "Welcome Home I'm Proud of You and by the way Happy Birthday" sort of thing. Perhaps it would have if I hadn't opened my big yap and let the cat out of the bag to chase the mouse.

Yesterday I had a chance to talk with him and his reply was in the order of, "Wow babe how sweet of you, but, I'd rather have the Sony 34XBR910." Note; to those that aren't aware the 910 is a CRT. Some would say the best made and probably one of the last.

Now this shouldn't matter because the 910 saves us more than a jingle in savings. However, I was under the impression that the Panasonic 42PX20U would have the better PQ among all of its other attributes. Moreover when "I" saw them, I was certainly entranced by the Plasma and flippant over the Sony.

My hubby tells me that the Sony despite its smaller size has a better PQ for SD and soon to come HD. And that plasma has too many quirks to invest in it now, such as high rate of burn in and fragile nature. The cost of either one was not an issue, rather the output of display.

I'm belly up confused and need to make a decision fast as to whether or not to have this swapped out by next week. I'm on the fence here and it isn't a pretty picture. I need some advice.

TIA

joanna

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Joanna, no offence at all here, but this is the plasma forum. Many of us have thousands of dollars invested in PDP technology and couldn't imagine owning a CRT or any other type of TV for that matter.

I know I love my two and no way I could ever buy a CRT set again. In fact, I have a Sony XBR 32 and a nice Panasonic 27inch in the basement collecting dust.

E. J.

PS - I have been here almost a year and trust me, burn in is not an issue. SD PQ can be, but only one way to find out for sure. If its not a deal breaker for me and my 63", I can't imagine it would be with a 20" smaller set.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your husband is a lucky man, and what you're trying to do is awesome. Congrats to you BOTH, by the way, for gettin thru the tour in Afghanistan. Here's a suggestion - why not take him out shopping, so you both can see all the options side by side, and then make a decision? You'll probably both be happier in the long run. In the meantime, you can use the forums to get smart on the pros and cons of each of the avialble options, so the salesmen won't be able to BS you.

I'm a Navy officer at the Pentagon, please pass to your husband that we're all very proud of him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EjF,

As certain as I am that this forum is plasma based. I am even more assuerd that there are many on this forum, such as yourself, that have CRTs and probably high end ones.

At the moment I have a huge Plasma sitting in its box just itching to show itself off. Do I gun it and set it up or are the concerns of my spouse honestly enough to warrant and heed?

No harm done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had many of the same concerns. However, my wife was locked onto the plasma. I'm really into functionality and she's into form, it makes for some interesting battles, and usually excellent results. This was no exception. We got the plasma installed last weekend and it is awesome. I think the biggest positive over the crt is going to be viewing angle. Ours is installed in a very large room, and it looks clear and bright from any angle.

Mike

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by justbrowsingalon
At the moment I have a huge Plasma sitting in its box just itching to show itself off. Do I gun it and set it up or are the concerns of my spouse honestly enough to warrant and heed?

No harm done.
Joanna, you know your husband best. It sounds like you know what you should do. Like GAC said, maybe best to return it (if possible) and spend a nice romantic day or two shopping with your hubby. Have all your research done ahead of time - print out threads from here about burn in is not an issue etc... - give him time to digest it and wind down from the 'trip' and then go have some fun. Bring some source material you know well on DVD and compare as many as you can. While doing that, please ask to see the settings of each set so you know how they are setup. I have even heard of some people bringing their setup DVDs (Avia or DVE) with them and putting the picture of the sets they are analyzing as best as possible.

It sounds like fun. This hobby would be much more fun for me if my wife was interested. Hell, she doesn't even want to learn how to use the remote control. And she wonders why I get mad when she calls me at work saying the TV wont work. ;)

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun.

My $.02 and all IMHO of course.

E. J.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EfJ

As much as a woman can know a man, I trust I understand mine. It would be easy for me to spoon feed him whatever technology I wanted. But the gift is his and although I will be enjoying its virtues as much as he will be, I certainly don't want to poo poo his choice.

My gut tells me to let the Panasonic beast out and run with it. If my mate doesn't like it thn it comes with a liberal return policy to swap out and return. In a nut shell the return policy is what I paid for, almost $600.00 over internet prices. Now no body enjoys a return and if I can avoid one I will.

My concern is that he is indeed correct and that PQ will be compromised by our SD and burn in/fragile technology ought to be taken seriously.

Long in short, I need to know from the members of this forum what their experiences have been with high end CRTs and whether or not the plasma pit falls are true .

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I can tell you that I haven't experienced the plasma pitfalls. Maybe you should go to a store that sells you exact model and see it in action for yourself with an SD feed. Then at least you will know what to expect.

I don't think burn in is an issue. I don't know the other pitfalls either.

Good luck,

E. J.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sorry about your dilemma.

I've gone between rear projection sets to tube sets to front projectors to plasma sceens. JMHO, but plasma wins out over the others in so many categories. I haven't experienced any pitfalls with my plasma. You know your husband best, but I think his misconceptions about plasmas having "quirks" would disappear once he sees the Panny in action. I'd agree that plasmas are more fragile in respect that a little extra care must be taken when transporting them.

Not to sound like a person who thinks that plasmas are the greatest thing since sliced bread, my first choice would be a front projector because of the LARGE picture that they can display along with a high quality picture, but the downside to a front projector is need to control lighting and the cost of replacing burned out lamps. In your situation it sounds like a plasma screen would work best.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For what it's worth, I just replaced my Sony WEGA 36" progressive scan (HD) tube (all 250 pounds worth) with a 42" plasma, and couldn't be happier. The Sony tube was excellent, and I sold it (for a song) to a very good friend, but the 42" plasma screen has the same height and what seems like twice the width.

The Picture Quality with SD is excellent, and HD is out of this world.

Still, far be it from me, or others here, to intrude upon your domestic tranquility, and our opinions are offered for whatever weight you wish to give them.

Buying into HD TV is a big deal, and took me a lot of time to research, which your husband has not had the luxury to do while off doing much more important things, for which we are all grateful.

The best nugget above would seem to be to wait for him to be able to join you in a shopping trip or two, as well as a lap around this board so he can get a handle on the plasma rumors.

You sound like my kind of girl. By the way, the note above raises a question: before we started slicing bread, what was the greatest thing around?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have an excellent 34" HD direct view set (Toshiba) upstairs and the 42" Panasonic plasma in my living room absolutely kicks the crap out of it. It just dominates it in every conceivable image quality category. Maybe your spouse has never seen a properly adjusted Panasonic plasma, because they are spectacular.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
My concern is that he is indeed correct and that PQ will be compromised by our SD and burn in/fragile technology ought to be taken seriously.
FWIW, we replaced a 2001 50" RPTV Diamond Screen Mitsubishi with a 42" panny ED model. Our viewing habits are 75% SD, 15% DVD and 10% HD. Granted, some of the SD channels from the E* look like over compressed crap, however, they still look better than they looked on the Mits.

Burn-in, actually uneven phosphor wear, can happen, but if you are prudent (scale down the "Picture" and "Contrast" setting to sub 0 levels) don't leave a static image on for a long-time (kids and myself have played Xbox "Halo" for over 3 hours with no burn-in or ghosting) and I think you will be fine (and very much appreciated by the hubby). It should be taken seriously, you're plunking down a big wad of $$$, however, after almost one year and a few thousand hours, I can honestly tell you that it should not be a concern. Just don't fall asleep watching a DVD.;)

We watch the SD signal in the "justify" mode and although the pic is slightly stretched on the sides it still is very good and watchable.

Now DVD's and HD are awesome. As this unit is the 852x480 set, the vertical pixels are a one-to-one match from the DVD to the panny. Very nice ( want to see some ). HD is, simply put, awesome.

The combination of wide viewing angles, deep rich colors and svelteness of the unit is all we needed to "take the plunge". I say "unharness the beast", as long as you can return it if you don't like it, he will be very surprised to see it installed.

I honestly wish that I had more to say to allay your husbands and your fears. I think you made an excellent choice and that your husband is a very, very lucky man.

I too wish too extend my, as well as my family's, thanks to both you and your husband for your unselfishness during this most difficult of times. You both are too be thanked and thanked often.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Rich

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think the bulk of suggestions here may have it best. If you have a good return policy on what you bought, get it set up and calibrated all nice and purty, and let him be impressed on arrival.

Then you can offer the choice of going with it, or taking him out to some stores to see if he really likes the CRT better. I think just about anyone here would agree that on 99% of viewing, the plasma will outperform the CRT.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I’m a former owner (sold in November) of a Sony 36XBR400, and while I loved the HD performance, watching movies from 12†was needless to say a stretch. I now own a Panny 50†and WOW am I happy in every respect. IMO it’s a no-brainer, and I honestly believe you both will feel the same way.

It’s obvious to me your womanly intuition is speaking to you loud and clear and you should follow it. Your husband will get educated as you have, and will discover what he’s heard about plasmas and what reality is are two different things. The box is screaming for you to open it and welcome it into your family. You both will be extremely happy (so will your husband).:) Promise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Only a AVS member would tell a woman in reference to shopping for a set

"..spend a nice romantic day or two shopping with your hubby."

God how I love these people.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Franky, we are kind of a 'different' bunch here, huh :).

One of the best presents I got from my husband a few years ago was when he snuck in a RAM upgrade (16 to 32MB, and pretty expensive at the time) to my PC when I was sleeping Xmas eve and I didn't know until the next time I booted up.

Joanna, it's a tough call, but I think radarblip's advice is pretty good for this situation. And you could always give the Panasonic a try and return it for the Sony if he doesn't like it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To those that responded to this thread, thank you! Your time and effort was sincerely appreciated. The beast has been set free and I've got plasma on the face.

joanna

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
To those that responded to this thread, thank you! Your time and effort was sincerely appreciated. The beast has been set free and I've got plasma on the face.

joanna
It sounds like you chose the Plasma which I think was the correct move. I myself have been mulling over the 34" CRT HDTV and Plasma debate. I have spent extensive time in the Direct view CRT forum and have come to a conclusion. If you are sitting 6 feet or closer to the TV, the Sony 34XBR910 super fine pitch display is probably the best thing you can have. After the 6 foot point the "super fine pitch" attribute of this set starts becoming irrelevant and one should look at the cheaper 34" Wide screen HDTV displays. That is when I realized that a LARGER Plasma 42" display would even be BETTER for my 11 feet viewing distance. So that is ultimately what I decided to go with. So unless you are sitting real close to the TV, I feel you have made the right choice to go with the Plasma display.

Hammer

·
Registered
33,528 Posts
I can tell you between my 2 Fujitsu plasmas (42" ED and 50" HD) and my 34" Panny directview CRT HDTV, the Panny has the worst picture. I'd much rather watch the 42ED than the 34" HD, it's just a better picture.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.