AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old UTV with a 120gb WD 120BBRLT hard drive. I suspect the hard drive is failing. I can only watch recorded shows, but they are very jumpy, and the unit keeps resetting itself. I can no longer watch live TV. If I plug in the LNBs to tuners 1 and 2, the unit keeps resetting itself, and dials out to Web tv, then gives me the message "Your internet terminal needs to be repaired or replaced".I don't think it is the tuners, because Sat signal is fine (90%).

If I try a new hard drive, which one should I use? I know the WDJBRLT's don't work.

Can they still be installed straight from the box, and will they dial in to get the update like they could 3 years ago?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding the Resetting/Jumpy UTV.

Have you unplugged and allowed the UTV to cooldown for a few hours? Does it still do this after a cool down? Is the UTV in the open and/or elevated to allow better cooling?

If you are interested in "restoring" your UTV to an out of the box like condition. (All your recordings and settings will be lost SO be sure to back up everything or you will not get it back.) Use UTV Code 23552355 . This should reset/default your UTV OS to its original setup and resolve most Software Related UTV problems. If the UTV continues to freak out after a cool down and after "restoring" the UTV to it's out of the box condition I'd be looking into Hardware issues.

Try to verify that your Sat Setup is A OK. If you can verify your LNB, grounding block, Multiswitch (if you have one), Cable Runs, and Connections are Good then you might need to look into a new Hard Drive.

I'd check your Setup by bypassing the Multi-Switch and even switch out Cables at the LNB. If you have some spare RG-6 you could try and run a good line directly to the UTV from the LNB bypassing the in-house wire runs.

RE: New Hard Drive

Not sure how long your 120GB BB Drive has been in service, but the ATA-3 Security Issue we had such big problems with a few years ago... Doesn't seem to be much of an issue now. Basicly any IDE 120GB/160GB (or larger IDE drive with only 137GB recognized) you buy new today should work fine in the UTV.

Look around and you can buy 160GB drives for VERY CHEAP. (Best Buy had an instore deal on 160GB drives I think for $20 after rebate)

Check www.hotdealsclub.com for hard drive deals. (There is a 200GB Seagate for $58 after rebate.)

I'm partial to Seagate since it has low noise bearings and has a 5-Year Warranty on all it's drives. I think most everyone else is still in the 1 year Warranty Mode. Most of my UTVs are running 120GB WD BB drives (upgraded in 2002) or Seagates and I've been very happy with how they continue to perform.

Let us know if you have any other questions. We'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, lgodave.

I really don't think that it's the tuners. Getting 90% signals from both tuners on both sats.

If I use the UTV Code 23552355, how is that entered?

If I replace the hard drive, can I just stick it right in the UTV, and turn it on, and let it dial out to UTV for update? I've read how some are using MHD3/Winhex to copy images to new hard drives. That sounds pretty complicated to me. I successfully upgraded 3 UTV's 3 years ago, has the process changed?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, yes I have it elevated with an extra cooling fan, and I have unplugged it overnight; still doing the same thing.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
bovineyard,

The UTV Code is entered using your Remote Control.

The UTV must be in "Standby" (Green Light Off) mode and you simply enter 23552355. There should be a multi-color flash of lights and it should when it's done be in "out of the box" like condition. Power it up and reenter your settings.

The Hard Drive "Upgrade" process hasn't changed any since last time.

Remove your Access Card. Remove Cover. Remove Old Hard Drive. Set Jumper on New Hard Drive (Master/Single Mode). Install New Drive. Close Cover.Install Access Card. Plug in Phone Line (The "cleaner" the line the better) and power up. The UTV should dialup and download the UTV 3.7 OS from MSNTV.

From what you've been saying it certainly sounds like it a Software glitch OR Hard Drive problem are likely.

Are you using a UPS (Battery Backup) on your UTV? I've not known "Dirty" Power to cause this issue... but a UPS is a UTV's friend. Some UTVs will "play dead" after a "power event" and it can be tricky to bring back to "life". Eliminating "dirty power" might be in order if you hold onto your UTV or another DVR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Just picked up a WD 160GB JBRLT at BB for 120 - $80 rebate, plan to try that if the reset doesn't work.

I've had a UPS on the unit since new.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

RE: UPS

Very good. I suppose most UTVers that have gone to the trouble to upgrade their UTV's HD would know (from this site) that a UPS is a desired upgrade.

RE: UTV "Glitch"

Just noticed your sig with the " 3 UTV's, 120gb" line. Have you been able to "swap" UTVs from one location/setup to see if the problems are moving with the UTV or they are staying with the setup?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much for your help, Lgodave. I installed the new hard drive, and everything is working perfectly, (the reset codes didn't help)

Thing is snappy with the 8MB cache.

The only problem I'm having is the local stations still aren't showing up from the 119 sat yet. I will wait til tomorrow to see if they show up, and call DTV if they don't.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Locals are on now. Don't know why it takes 8+ hours! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

Locals do take a bit to "refresh", after a hard drive upgrade.

I've noticed in the past when calling DTV's "automated" tech support system they can "hit" your Access Card(s) which will restore the locals and/or other channels right away. It was helpful when I noticed my PayPerView channels had deactivated and I wanted to use them... I few minutes navigating the automated menu system and it was back up without having to talk to anyone.

Glad it's working for you. Now you can do the "unlock" procedure on your Old "Bad" 120GB UTV drive and use it in your PC. (Assuming a diagnostic program finds it is OK for service.)

Check the FAQ for details on the "Unlock" Procedure. Any other questions, let us know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you access the automated menu system? can you get a reset by doing this?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

I had an on screen code like ext. 721 so when I called the DTV Phone number it asked about on screen codes. I selected that option and it stepped me though the process. It was long winded and told me a lot of stuff I could care less about... but I got what I wanted in the end and saved time not having to talk to anyone.

As for a "reset" what exactly do you mean? There are various "reset" UTV Codes you could try yourself, but I'm not sure what good they would do you at the moment. UTV Code 12357 is a typical "reset" code which will reboot the UTV, without having to remove the power cord.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm preparing to upgrade my circa 2001 original SAT-W60 hard drive. Though it has been working fine since I bought it almost 4 years ago, I figure the hard drive can't have too many more hours left before it fails and I'd like to be in good shape with the new TV season starting soon.

The procedure seems simple enough, but I have one question. How exactly should I confirm my ability to connect to the MS servers before hand so I can receive the OS download?

Thank you.

Oh, one other question. I currently can store ~35 hours of programming. How much capacity will a ~120GB drive give me?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi Throck,

You could try the UTV Code 8675309 which forces a download of the UTV OS.

It shouldn't effect your existing install in anyway. If it downloads without an interupt you're fine... If it drops out once and a while that may be OK... as long as it doesn't lock up and hang repeatedly. If you don't complete the download of the OS to your 40GB it should not effect it's operation. It will just keep the "old" version.

Basicly, get as "clean" a phone line connection as you can to improve dowload chances. If you have problems it may be because of a "dirty" phone or extension on the line... If you can bypass/remove these problems you will have a better connection. If you have a dial-up account/modem on your PC you could get some idea of what your UTV's connection speed should be.

As I recall a 40GB with a "rated" 35 hours of recording gets maybe 25 hours in actual use. So what ever your "actual" recording capacity before the UTV starts deleting shows you can multiply 2x (80GB "70hr"), or 3x (120GB "105hr"). So I'd guess maybe 75 "actual" hours for a 120GB. If you install a 160GB or larger drive you'll only be able to use 137GB of that drive but you'll get a few more hours then a 120GB drive. Considering how cheap HDs are now a 160GB or 200GB drive may be the best option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the reply lgodave.

I haven't used a modem in years but when I did I always had a good, clean, fast connection. Hopefully that's still the case.

Believe it or not, my original question was even more basic. I was looking for an answer like "if you can connect to webtv via your receiver, then you are successfully connecting to the ms servers". I assume that is the case, and that was what I was having trouble with. In the 4 years I've had this thing, I have never used the webtv interface except after initially installing it.

I tried again a year or so ago but I couldn't connect. It just went into some kind of redial loop. Oddly enough, after posting here yesterday, I tried again. It worked fine. It seemed pretty snappy while I emptied all the spam out of the email box.

So I guess that means I'm in good shape. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

You're welcome. Yes, if you can connect to your UTV's MSNTV/WebTV Account there shouldn't be a problem.

Since I'm still a "dialup" customer I figured I'd give a run down on possible issues. (Live in an area where Cable/DSL isn't available... Direcway is, but WAY expensive IMO)

·
Registered
65 Posts
throk

you could also take the os image from your old 40 gig drive and write it to the new drive

no download needed

herculitos post might help with this procedure

·
Registered
41 Posts
After seeing how long the d/l takes that may be the way to go. Is there a link to the instructions somewhere that I'm missing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
look for herculito's post from 05-16-03 06:19 PM
Quote:
This is not my work, or my Findings.. i Was helped and Allowed to post this info for all of you that need this help, I can help you with your questions.. since i already did this and it worked great

NOTE.. YOU NEED TO HAVE COMPUTER HARDWARE SKILL'S TO TRY THIS..OR ELSE YOU COULD DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER OR UTV

YOU NEED A WORKING (NOT EVALUATION) COPY OF WINHEX

While the utv is running, unplug the ide cable, (leave power applied)boot your computer hit pause before it detects ide drives plug ide cable from computer into drive and hit enter the drive should now be detected.

run winhex, from tools select physical disk(start center on some versions,then select the physical disk that is your utv), from position goto offset 13480600 look at 13480624-7 in the display it should read FSNo

right click the first byte (13480600)select begining of block now from postition tab goto offset 154805ff right click, select end of block. from edit tab select copy all into new file and name it on your local drive.

(if FSNo is at 15480624 instead of 13480624 then select 15480600-174805ff and do the same)

Now that you have the file you can disconnect the drive and hook up your new drive. on the new drive select offset 0 as begining of block and 178c2fff as end of block. From edit tab select fill file,select first option and type in 00 for hex value (if the drive is already zeros you can skip this step)

after it zeros that chunk goto tools then disk tools then clone disk

on source file select read sectors from image file and select the file you saved from before. select your destination drive and start sector will be 631811 (this is lba 13480600 or sector 09a403 in hex...which is sector 631811 in decimal)(make sure you select copy entire source) and click ok it will write the sectors and you and the drive should be showing the data starting

at 13480600 now disconnect the drive install it in the utv plugin the power cord utv should now come up to the welcome to utv screen.

note this new hdd will no longer work on the computer unless you do the same procedure and erase all the content (i think i havent tried yet)

Hopes this helps many as it did helped me..

thanks to the finder of this info

DONT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF RUINING YOUR COMPUTER OR UTV

IT WORKED GREAT FOR ME AND DID IT TWICE

GOOD LUCK
lots of how too's posted cant keep up with links for them all :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.