AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HK AVR 745 (circa 2008) that served me faithfully for about 7 years until it recently started acting up (turning itself off after I try to power it on). Quick research/speculation is that it will be a few hundred to repair, so I went searching for a new receiver.

After some quick research, I decided to try the Onkyo TX-NR636. After initial setup and AccuEQ configuration, I found the sound production lacking (compared to my prior receiver). I'm no expert, but I tried doing some manual calibration of crossover freqs, distance and then played a bit with the levels. The manual calibration resulted in a bit better sound, but it still seems lacking in the mid-range. Voices and high-end seem clear and bass is fine, but there seems to be a "richness" missing in-between.

I'm a bit rusty on audio tech and I'm no audiophile, but do my perceptions of the sound quality of the Onkyo seem reasonable (as compared with the HK) or am I just imagining it while lamenting the death of my old faithful? Does anyone have any suggestions of anything more to try, configuration-wise or testing-wise, with the Onkyo before I write it off? If the Onkyo is indeed lacking compared to my old HK, any other suggestions to try that might better fill the void?

Thanks in advance for any guidance here.

(I'm working with Athena AS-F1s/C1 in the front, an Athena 400W sub and Polk M10s for surround.)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have an HK AVR 745 (circa 2008) that served me faithfully for about 7 years until it recently started acting up (turning itself off after I try to power it on). Quick research/speculation is that it will be a few hundred to repair, so I went searching for a new receiver.

After some quick research, I decided to try the Onkyo TX-NR636. After initial setup and AccuEQ configuration, I found the sound production lacking (compared to my prior receiver). I'm no expert, but I tried doing some manual calibration of crossover freqs, distance and then played a bit with the levels. The manual calibration resulted in a bit better sound, but it still seems lacking in the mid-range. Voices and high-end seem clear and bass is fine, but there seems to be a "richness" missing in-between.

I'm a bit rusty on audio tech and I'm no audiophile, but do my perceptions of the sound quality of the Onkyo seem reasonable (as compared with the HK) or am I just imagining it while lamenting the death of my old faithful? Does anyone have any suggestions of anything more to try, configuration-wise or testing-wise, with the Onkyo before I write it off? If the Onkyo is indeed lacking compared to my old HK, any other suggestions to try that might better fill the void?

Thanks in advance for any guidance here.

(I'm working with Athena AS-F1s/C1 in the front, an Athena 400W sub and Polk M10s for surround.)

I have only owned HK's (354, 2600, 3700) and one Yamaha so I can't speak for other AVR's like Onkyo, Marantz, etc but I did find when I switched from Yamaha to HK, my quality increased drastically. No matter what I did with the Yamaha, I couldn't get the sound I wanted, I would describe it as flat. Any reason you are not looking at HK again? Some great prices on used on ebay, or refurbished on ebay(that's where I got my 3700 refurbished from HK). Refurbished models from HK have a "-z)" at the end of the model number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only owned HK's (354, 2600, 3700) and one Yamaha so I can't speak for other AVR's like Onkyo, Marantz, etc but I did find when I switched from Yamaha to HK, my quality increased drastically. No matter what I did with the Yamaha, I couldn't get the sound I wanted, I would describe it as flat. Any reason you are not looking at HK again? Some great prices on used on ebay, or refurbished on ebay(that's where I got my 3700 refurbished from HK). Refurbished models from HK have a "-z)" at the end of the model number.
Only reason I didn't look at HK is I was reading something about change in ownership/mfg quality dipping. Have you found otherwise?

Also, I think the Onkyo lured me in with the Dolby Atmos capability...though now that I think about it, I may not utilize that capability in the near future.:confused:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Keep your HK until the newer models come out.

Going from a AVR-745 to a TX-NR636 is a step backwards IMO, especially if you are not going to take advantage of some of the more modern technology that the 636 possesses.

I have owned 3 HK AVR's and two Onkyo's. Both are great sounding receivers but I, like you, prefered the HK sound.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Only reason I didn't look at HK is I was reading something about change in ownership/mfg quality dipping. Have you found otherwise?

Also, I think the Onkyo lured me in with the Dolby Atmos capability...though now that I think about it, I may not utilize that capability in the near future.:confused:

I would only consider atmos if you are doing a dedicated home theatre, which does not apply to me. 7.1 is all I need and have room and money for lol.

HK has changed, but I have their newest flagship 3700. Although it is not comparable to the tanks of old(7550) I really enjoy mine, and I love the look of HK a lot! And the sound is there, and I've grown accustom to it, so I continue with it.

Many others brands are/were stuggling with the HDMI process. HK was no different. All companies seem to be getting past the bugs by now.

I'm happy with mine. I also stick with HK because I'm familiar with there set up and ease of use. Good luck in your search, don't rule out used or refurbished on your search, and come on the boards here and search your brand and model number and read up on some issues before buying

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've had 4 H/K's, a 254, 247, 2600 and a 7550. When my 7550 started failing I ended up trying a Yamaha RX-A820. No comparison in sound quality. The H/K was so much better. It had a fuller/warmer sound to it. I ended up trying a Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 and love it. It is very similar to the H/K in sound quality. If I ever have to replace it I will go back to H/K. There's just something about their sound.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I've had 4 H/K's, a 254, 247, 2600 and a 7550. When my 7550 started failing I ended up trying a Yamaha RX-A820. No comparison in sound quality. The H/K was so much better. It had a fuller/warmer sound to it. I ended up trying a Sherwood/Newcastle R-972 and love it. It is very similar to the H/K in sound quality. If I ever have to replace it I will go back to H/K. There's just something about their sound.
I wanted to buy a used 7550($6-800)last year while looking at my 3700, I have heard so many great things about that beast. But I figured I would only get a little time out of it just due to HDMI failure and not knowing exactly what you are getting on a used item, so I decided on going new with the added wireless features. Any additional comments on your 7550 and how it was?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm happy with mine. I also stick with HK because I'm familiar with there set up and ease of use. Good luck in your search, don't rule out used or refurbished on your search, and come on the boards here and search your brand and model number and read up on some issues before buying
How has the quality been generally with your HKs? It looks like they dialed their warranty back to only 1 year, which makes me nervous, especially given some of the stories about quality as of late.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I wanted to buy a used 7550($6-800)last year while looking at my 3700, I have heard so many great things about that beast. But I figured I would only get a little time out of it just due to HDMI failure and not knowing exactly what you are getting on a used item, so I decided on going new with the added wireless features. Any additional comments on your 7550 and how it was?
It was similar to my 2600 in sound quality but it had a lot more oomph to it. Mine had a failing HDMI board in it and H/K didn't have anymore. I then purchased the Sherwood/Newcastle R-972. It sounds as good as any of my H/K's did except the Trinnov processing is amazing. Better than the H/K 7550HD EzSet/EQ II.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It was similar to my 2600 in sound quality but it had a lot more oomph to it. Mine had a failing HDMI board in it and H/K didn't have anymore. I then purchased the Sherwood/Newcastle R-972. It sounds as good as any of my H/K's did except the Trinnov processing is amazing. Better than the H/K 7550HD EzSet/EQ II.

Interesting, I like my 3700 sound quality much more than my 2600. What speakers did you run with the 7550?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Interesting, I like my 3700 sound quality much more than my 2600. What speakers did you run with the 7550?
Yamaha NS-555 towers, NS-C444 center and 4-NS-333 for the surrounds. I just upgraded to Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE L,R,C and the HTM-200's for my surrounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.