AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting into the 1080p side of things and making the move soon! Any forseeable problems at all? The 7200 has treated me well, and even though I just bought a new bulb, feel I am missing out on 1080p viewing..upgraditis has hit
If its a go, the 7200 is on the block! and I'm 1080p bound

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
If you sit close enough to your screen (1.2-1.3 times your screen's width or closer), then you will very much enjoy the added resolution. I replaced a Toshiba 720p DLP (DC2+ chip) with an Epson HC1080, and I am quite happy.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I realize the new technology of the LCD makes is much better than older LCD technology, but its hard to believe you guys that cut your teeth on DLP are switching to LCD now...I've always had LCD and am tired of the gray-blacks so I'm looking into DLP now...unless things have changed significantly and LCD has black-Blacks now?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
LCD has come a long way but of course it still doesn't have black-Blacks. Neither does DLP. LCD achieves darker blacks now mainly via dynamic iris. Some people are ok with it. Some aren't. But enough about blacks ...

With the new 1080p panels, has fill ratio improved with LCD technology? I think the higher fill ratio in DLP adds to the picture's depth and 3D-ness. The topic of fill ratio hasn't been discussed in a long time. I wonder what the current status is with LCD technology in this area?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I never had an older LCD projector, but with a casual glance the Epson pixel structure looks similar to the Toshiba DLP's from my memory. In any case, no "screen door effect" is visible from my viewing position, nor is any "stair-stepping" (which I did have with the DLP, due to its resolution limits). I should also point out that I am using the Epson without its dynamic iris, and I am happy with the black level. I should probably try some tests both ways.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threecard /forum/post/0

I'm looking at getting into the 1080p side of things and making the move soon! Any forseeable problems at all? The 7200 has treated me well, and even though I just bought a new bulb, feel I am missing out on 1080p viewing..upgraditis has hit
If its a go, the 7200 is on the block! and I'm 1080p bound

I had a 5700, which died after 3.5 years and with 900 hours on the lamp, and I just got the Epson Home 1080. Don't expect to be wowed: the picture is smoother and brighter, but not better with standard DVDs. Cannot say anything about HD - I am holding off until the format war is decided and I watch TV on a Westinghouse 42"

My setup: 12 feet throw distance, Momitsu V880, 88" Carada Classic Cinema White screen, totally light controlled room with Ralph Lauren taupe paint with black sand in it. Theater Black 2 and lamp set at bright.

One Of my favorite DVDs is Moulin Rouge. The setup on the DVD has a section that allows a quick calibration. The black level is set by making a drop shadow behind the leters THX just disappear into the background. I noticed that the drop shadow is not even visible with the Epson! Does this mean that the Infocus 5700 has better black levels than the Epson?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
[QUOTEnagyg]Don't expect to be wowed: the picture is smoother and brighter, but not better with standard DVDs. Cannot say anything about HD

QUOTE]

Get an HD DVD player or Blu Ray and you will be wowed. If you wait until the format war is over which it may never be, you will never see the full potential of the Epson 1080. I have the Samsung 1200 Blu Ray and with my Epson 1080 the picture is beautiful. I haven't watched any SD with mine and probably never will.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog /forum/post/0

Get an HD DVD player or Blu Ray and you will be wowed. If you wait until the format war is over which it may never be, you will never see the full potential of the Epson 1080. I have the Samsung 1200 Blu Ray and with my Epson 1080 the picture is beautiful. I haven't watched any SD with mine and probably never will.

I have a collection of DVDs of rock concerts, musicals and operas and movies which will probably never be transferred to HD, so I guess I will live with SD for a long time ... My Westinghouse 42" LCD TV is 1080p and I agree, HD blows you away. But SD does not look good on it, compared to a CRT TV. Maybe it is the same with the Epson 1080p compared to the Infocus 5700 DLP?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I started with DLP (X1, X3) but moved to LCD and really like it Ive owned (900u, ax100u, hc5000). Its just sharper to me, I now prefer LCD.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
hc5000 from what I have read is very sharp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts