AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading alot on this forum and debating if I should upgrade my projector or just replace my lamp.

Here is my set up.

- 6 year old Infocus screenplay 5700 (bulb is going bad)

- 92 inch Draper Onyx Screen

- Room is 17 by 17

- Projector is mounted in ceiling at about 15 feet from screen.

My question is should I replace the bulb - cost $550 or just upgrade my projector competely? I have not had any issues with the projector at all but am not sure of how long these projectors will last.

The main viewing is sports and occasional movies.

If I replace my projector - I'm assuming that I will have to re mount it (can't use the existing brackets, etc).

I've been looking at they Panny 4000, Epson 8350, or the Epson 8700UB.

Any advice on replacing lamp or purchasing would be appreciated.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msujohn /forum/post/19548649

I've been reading alot on this forum and debating if I should upgrade my projector or just replace my lamp.

Here is my set up.

- 6 year old Infocus screenplay 5700 (bulb is going bad)

- 92 inch Draper Onyx Screen

- Room is 17 by 17

- Projector is mounted in ceiling at about 15 feet from screen.

My question is should I replace the bulb - cost $550 or just upgrade my projector competely? I have not had any issues with the projector at all but am not sure of how long these projectors will last.

The main viewing is sports and occasional movies.

If I replace my projector - I'm assuming that I will have to re mount it (can't use the existing brackets, etc).

I've been looking at they Panny 4000, Epson 8350, or the Epson 8700UB.

Any advice on replacing lamp or purchasing would be appreciated.

If the lamp housing is in good shape, why not just replace the lamp only (use old housing). Remove the bulb from the housing (use cotton gloves). Read make and model number. Do a search for the bulb. Should be able to find for around $200. Install new bulb. Wear cotton gloves. Never touch bulb or reflector with bare fingers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After some amount of reading .... it seemed that you should always replace the housing and the lamp - not just the lamp. So, I can just replace the lamp and use the existing housing? Is it pretty easy to remove the lamp from the housing? Also, I'm assuming I need to buy an OEM lamp not a knock off. How do I find out if the lamp is an OEM vs. knock off. Are there certain on line sites that are good to use?

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msujohn /forum/post/19548747

After some amount of reading .... it seemed that you should always replace the housing and the lamp - not just the lamp. So, I can just replace the lamp and use the existing housing? Is it pretty easy to remove the lamp from the housing? Also, I'm assuming I need to buy an OEM lamp not a knock off. How do I find out if the lamp is an OEM vs. knock off. Are there certain on line sites that are good to use?

It is rare that the housing will not be re-usable. The bulb is easy to remove from the housing. The bulb will have the manufacturers name on it and the model number. Just buy the same.

Added

This is the lamp that is used in one of my projectors: http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp69378.html If I bought the housing and lamp it would cost me over $500

1 - 5 of 5 Posts