AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the option of selling my Onkyo 805 and buying a new home theatre receiver later. Any thoughts on whether or not I should sell the 805 and get more bang for the buck in 9 months or so?

I spent $900 on the 805 about 2 years ago. My thoughts are to sell the receiver and then get a replacement about a year when I need it.

Any thoughts here?

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGizzard /forum/post/16925618

I have the option of selling my Onkyo 805 and buying a new home theatre receiver later. Any thoughts on whether or not I should sell the 805 and get more bang for the buck in 9 months or so?

I spent $900 on the 805 about 2 years ago. My thoughts are to sell the receiver and then get a replacement about a year when I need it.

Any thoughts here?

Going to jail? or war?

As good as the sound is on the 805, I'd vote to keep it. You'll only get $300.~$400. for it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good questions. I am selling my home along with my home theatre until my new home is completed. My new home won't be completed for almost a year and I won't have a great use for the receiver in the rental home.

So, I have to either leave the 805 or replace it with a different receiver for the buyer of my home.

I am thinking that if I leave the 805, I could replace it with a 876 or the equivalent in a year. As it stands now I see the 876 on sale for close to what I paid for the 805 two and a half years ago.

A year from now, they might be even cheaper.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Nah. The 805 was a formidable value. The main things that the 876 would get you are either the Dyn vol/eq, or the Reon + ISF controls. However, are you really going to need either? I don't, and that's being honest. My playback volume is loud enough where I wouldn't use the first, and all I watch is native hi-def, and the ISF controls can't do enough for my own video calibration on a JVC PJ.

Take the $500 that we save you here, and build a nice BD collection.

After all, there is a pretty good chance that your display processes video better than the 876.

And if video processing of standard def signals was really that important to you (personally, I think standard def broadcasts look horrible IMO, and so why even bother), then you'd really want an outboard VP anyways.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGizzard /forum/post/16926451

Good questions. I am selling my home along with my home theatre until my new home is completed. My new home won't be completed for almost a year and I won't have a great use for the receiver in the rental home.

So, I have to either leave the 805 or replace it with a different receiver for the buyer of my home.

I am thinking that if I leave the 805, I could replace it with a 876 or the equivalent in a year. As it stands now I see the 876 on sale for close to what I paid for the 805 two and a half years ago.

A year from now, they might be even cheaper.

Thoughts?

I never bought a home that included a HT!! I mean I can see leaving the in-walls, but the 805 is a classic and will do everything right for the next 3~5 years. This is how I feel about my 705.

If thats part of the deal? than drop a couple of hundred on a close out/open box Yamaha or Onkyo for the house and save the good stuff for yourself.IMO.

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppoPX14 /forum/post/16927471

If thats part of the deal? than drop a couple of hundred on a close out/open box Yamaha or Onkyo for the house and save the good stuff for yourself.IMO.

+1

·
Premium Member
24,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGizzard /forum/post/16929296

Any suggestions on which Onkyo will do the trick? Really it just needs to be able to output all inputs to HDMI Out like to 805 can.

The new Onkyo RC160 can do that. It is slightly different then their new 607. For a temporary piece both will get the job done. For more casual Home Theater folks either or will be a very good receiver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.