AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my WD Live TV with a better device for WiFi streaming.

My current setup. MKV files (x264, X265) stored on local NAS server. MezzMo server on PC, setup to stream NAS content to WD TV devices. WD currently connected to local LAN thru wired fast Ethernet. This setup works perfectly and I’m very satisfied. I will be moving to a new house where I will be forced to use wireless WiFi connectivity for most devices. WD TV wireless performance is no good, very choppy video playback.

I’m looking to replace the WD TV devices with something that will deliver good video playback over wifi. I’m ok with changing media software, devices, etc, the only constant will be local storage of files on NAS.

Looking for proven suggestions.
CreepyPumpkinHead

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Over wifi, in my opinion you are pretty much stuck with Plex, which will pre-transcode on the fly so that the bandwidth needed for streaming is reduced. Just make sure you get a device that can handle transcoding the number of streams you will need.

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
You would be better looking into Powerline adapters for streaming connectivity rather than WiFi.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a WD Live

Personally I would buy a 4 TB extra hard drive, load it up, then buy a Dune HD Solo Lite

If you insist on wifi, then send off an email to the people who sell dune hd solo lite and see if it does everything you want it to...it might just be a feature I've never used

I just love my Dune Solo Lite...it's even easier than WD TV, my 5 year old can set it up and play it

·
Registered
812 Posts
Over wifi, in my opinion you are pretty much stuck with Plex, which will pre-transcode on the fly so that the bandwidth needed for streaming is reduced. Just make sure you get a device that can handle transcoding the number of streams you will need.
Mezzmo does the same thing as Plex and will transcode on the fly for OP.

A lot will depend on whether or not you want internet services (NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.) and have specific requirements for multi-channel audio.

If you just want local streaming then a RaspPi3 with Kodi will be just about unbeatable. LibreELEC is kind of the goto if you want an appliance type setup. I customized the setup to really make the Mezzmo experience with the Kodi UI really smooth.

#1 - Change default Kodi skin to something that allows you to put a Favorite on the Blade. I use Aeon Nox: Silvo
#2 - Install the Mezzmo Plug-In
#3 - Favorite the Mezzmo Plug-in
#4 - Put the favorite on the Blade and remove the other similar Kodi links (i.e. Movies, Television, etc.).
#5 - Turn off transcoding in Mezzmo cuz you won't need it.

If you have old DVD rips and some VC-1 content, pay the extra $4.50 for the VC-1 and MPEG-2 licenses then you likely won't need Mezzmo to transcode anything. The only holdup you may have is the RPi's ability to playback HD Audio. But you can just set Kodi to passthrough the Audio and decode at your AVR.

If you want streaming services, the nVidia Shield with the Mezzmo App will be the gold standard. You could go with Roku or Roku Streaming Sticks with the Mezzmo Plug-In, too. I use FireTVs and FireTV Sticks with the Mezzmo app or Kodi setup like above. Those will be about the only devices that will offer Amazon Streaming Services at this point. If you don't need Amazon, then the Maiomi Mi Box is turning a lot of heads right now, too. You can use the Mezzmo App or Kodi with the Mezzmo Plug-in on just about any Android device.

I like the powerline adapters recommendation since wired will almost always trump wireless, but as long as the distance between the router/AP and the WiFi device isn't too long or obstructed then wireless AC is fine for BD rips. I do it with my FireTV sticks without a problem.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
If you want streaming services, the nVidia Shield with the Mezzmo App will be the gold standard. You could go with Roku or Roku Streaming Sticks with the Mezzmo Plug-In, too. I use FireTVs and FireTV Sticks with the Mezzmo app or Kodi setup like above. Those will be about the only devices that will offer Amazon Streaming Services at this point. If you don't need Amazon, then the Maiomi Mi Box is turning a lot of heads right now, too. You can use the Mezzmo App or Kodi with the Mezzmo Plug-in on just about any Android device.

I like the powerline adapters recommendation since wired will almost always trump wireless, but as long as the distance between the router/AP and the WiFi device isn't too long or obstructed then wireless AC is fine for BD rips. I do it with my FireTV sticks without a problem.
I have Amazon Video on my Shields and Nexus Players. Roku does Amazon too.

The Mi Box is turning out to not be all it was promised. I am a fan of Xiaomi's devices, I have one of their tablets. But the Mi box has deinterlacing issues and also is reported to be choking on 4k output. I'm anxious to see how DirecTV's Android TV box works out.

Powerline adapters do not work for everyone, so be sure you keep all your packaging materials in case they do not. In two houses, they have not worked for me.

I'm surprised you like your AFTV sticks so much. I find them very slow, irritatingly so. And yes, I have one.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have Amazon Video on my Shields and Nexus Players. Roku does Amazon too.

The Mi Box is turning out to not be all it was promised. I am a fan of Xiaomi's devices, I have one of their tablets. But the Mi box has deinterlacing issues and also is reported to be choking on 4k output. I'm anxious to see how DirecTV's Android TV box works out.

Powerline adapters do not work for everyone, so be sure you keep all your packaging materials in case they do not. In two houses, they have not worked for me.

I'm surprised you like your AFTV sticks so much. I find them very slow, irritatingly so. And yes, I have one.
Are your sticks Gen 1 or Gen 2? From what I understand there is a big difference in performance between the two. I have never used Gen 1 and purposefully avoided it. The only time that I have felt the sticks were slow was populating of art when browsing my local media.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Gen 1. I only have one of them. I thought the gen 2 was the same as gen 1 but with the voice remote. Until today (I just looked based on your comment) I had no idea the new one was "30% faster".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mezzmo does the same thing as Plex and will transcode on the fly for OP.

A lot will depend on whether or not you want internet services (NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.) and have specific requirements for multi-channel audio.

If you just want local streaming then a RaspPi3 with Kodi will be just about unbeatable. LibreELEC is kind of the goto if you want an appliance type setup. I customized the setup to really make the Mezzmo experience with the Kodi UI really smooth.

If you have old DVD rips and some VC-1 content, pay the extra $4.50 for the VC-1 and MPEG-2 licenses then you likely won't need Mezzmo to transcode anything. The only holdup you may have is the RPi's ability to playback HD Audio. But you can just set Kodi to passthrough the Audio and decode at your AVR.

Thanks for this reply. I will research you many suggestions. I do have powerline adapters I will try first, but as another mentioned, this does not always work well with every electrical box. I checked out a few youtube vids regarding PI3 and kodi. This seems interesting.

Thanks
CreepyPumpkinHead.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Gen 1. I only have one of them. I thought the gen 2 was the same as gen 1 but with the voice remote. Until today (I just looked based on your comment) I had no idea the new one was "30% faster".
For once, marketing may be a little conservative. My in-laws have a Gen 1 and it is Night and Day compared to my Gen 2 sticks. I literally can't tell the difference between my box and sticks when it comes to media playback. I haven't really tested gaming out, yet, though.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
If your budget will handle it, I'd strongly recommend an NVidia Shield.

All four of mine spend 99% of their time on Ethernet, but what little time I've spent using them on wifi, their AC connection to my Netgear R7000 has been about as good as any other WiFi streaming I've ever seen...

And it's versatile. And fast. And fun, too. We like them a lot in my house.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts