AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an NAD 512 CD player that skips once in awhile while playing a cd. It also requires me to load the cd multiple times before it plays...the drawer comes out and I have to close it several times before it will play. Is there something I can do to fix this or should I just replace it? Also what do you recommend I replace it with?
Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pop the hood.

A tiny droplet of Camera lens cleaner on a Q-tip helped mine.

Check that the rails the sled slides on is clean end to end and lightly lubricated.
Thank you for the reply, Ray. I figure it might be just dust as I have rarely used this player since buying it. It is pretty old. The fact the drawer opens and closes several times before I can play the cd indicates it might be a dirt problem. I will take it out of the stereo cabinet tomorrow or the next day and open it up for a good cleaning and lubricating. I will report back the results. Thanks again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply, Ray. I figure it might be just dust as I have rarely used this player since buying it. It is pretty old. The fact the drawer opens and closes several times before I can play the cd indicates it might be a dirt problem. I will take it out of the stereo cabinet tomorrow or the next day and open it up for a good cleaning and lubricating. I will report back the results. Thanks again.
Ray, I popped the hood and looked at everything. it was really clean inside. I did however clean the lens with some alcohol and then blow dried it with a can of compressed electronic air spray. The slide contact areas still had the white lithium grease on them that was still really clean. So I did not mess with that area. I took some really light oil on a cotton swab and lubed the rod that everything slides on when changing tracks. One thing I noticed is whenever I load a cd and the door comes back open like the cd will not read, there is an approximately 1 1/4 inch area on the top of the mechanism that spins the cd that gets hung up off center to where the cd will not spin. The door then opens and the cd is rejected. If I recenter this, the cd plays fine. I cleaned this as best I could with air spray. I then put the cover back on and tested the unit. The problem with the cd being rejected rather than played still was there, but the cd no longer skipped. I had to open and close the drawer maybe 4 times before the cd could be read. All of this I attribute to that one piece hanging up and not being centered. I don't know what else to do to make this part stay centered. I guess I will just have to keep opening and closing the drawer in the future to make it work.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Just choose a blu-ray player that appeals to you and has the connections you need. It will handle your CD's as well as video optical discs. They aren't particularly expensive thanks to economies of scale.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just choose a blu-ray player that appeals to you and has the connections you need. It will handle your CD's as well as video optical discs. They aren't particularly expensive thanks to economies of scale.
Thanks. I was wondering about that. Seems like for what I use this for a dedicated cd player is a waste of money. I would be better off to just purchase a blue ray player and then could use it for video as well as audio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts