AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Docsis 3.0 modem. Speedtest prior to the switch was 27down/3up (PC connected via router) and after was 43down/3up (PC connected directly to modem).
However, when I connected the PC back to the router, I'm only getting 30down/3up.

Is it time to replace my router? I have a Linksys WRT54G w/Tomato installed. It's been pretty rock solid and I'd be sad to see it go. I guess one must go with the times, though...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Nothing wrong with the router AFAIK - I think you've hit the upper limit of that router (30 Mbit/s). Looks like it's time to upgrade to a router that has a faster "speed limit."

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Netflix, Amazon VoD, TechNet Plus, Dropbox (would be nice if upstream was higher for this), etc. Unfortunately, it seems I've become quite impatient now and I get anxious whenever I have to wait for downloads to finish. Makes me wonder how I was able to live with dial-up when downloading gigantic 50MB drivers.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't get caught up in the numbers game since I've never come close to saturating my bandwidth. Speedtest is cute and all, but it doesn't accurately reflect real life. You're still going to be waiting for downloads to finish...

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer /forum/post/18308074

I don't get caught up in the numbers game since I've never come close to saturating my bandwidth. Speedtest is cute and all, but it doesn't accurately reflect real life. You're still going to be waiting for downloads to finish...

Not really sure what your bandwidth is. Perhaps you've got FiOS so it's harder to saturate your connection.

However, there are times I've had to throttle download speeds because the movie my mom's watching on Netflix is dropping out. And yes, I usually get 2.5~3.5MBps downloads.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
What sucks is there isnt really anything better than your current router. Theres not much on the market that can do tomato anymore and most of the stock firmwares suck. I also dont know how to even find a router that can handle more speed. I only have 20 mbit here on my wrt54gl.

There is this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320023

That uses dd-wrt.

I dont know what limits are on routers for speed because they just dont say on them. Maybe you are talking some more pro stuff like cisco or something here. I guess for most home users in the USA theres not many with that kind of bandwith.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/18309258

What sucks is there isnt really anything better than your current router. Theres not much on the market that can do tomato anymore and most of the stock firmwares suck. I also dont know how to even find a router that can handle more speed. I only have 20 mbit here on my wrt54gl.

There is this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320023

That uses dd-wrt.

I dont know what limits are on routers for speed because they just dont say on them. Maybe you are talking some more pro stuff like cisco or something here. I guess for most home users in the USA theres not many with that kind of bandwith.

I was actually looking at the following: Asus RT-N16 802.11b/g, 802.11n draft Gigabit Wireless Router ($95) . Tomato Teddy Bear mod is supposed to work on it. Unfortunately, spending $100 and having to wait for shipping on something that might not work just doesn't sit well with me.

Anyhow, scouring the linksysinfo forums, I found this pretty handy resource: Router Performance Comparison Charts . The Simultaneous Throughput Chart, in particular has been very useful.

Interestingly enough, I've read recent discussions as to why my router was getting capped at 30mbps. Apparently, the 200MHz processor is too slow. Since I have an extra WRT54GL laying around, I installed Tomato Victek mod on it, overclocked the CPU to 250MHz and painstakingly copied the settings from my original router. It works very well now and looks like I won't need to replace my router for a while. From some of the posts I've read, 250MHz should be pretty stable and there should be no problems with overheating.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ah ok. I actually got my wrt54gl because it can handle the most simultaneous threads or at least if I remember thats why. An older router I had locked up basically DDOSing itself from downloading too much stuff at once.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/18310647

Ah ok. I actually got my wrt54gl because it can handle the most simultaneous threads or at least if I remember thats why. An older router I had locked up basically DDOSing itself from downloading too much stuff at once.

It's not that it can handle more simultaneous connections, it's that they're better at handling them, I guess. The default Linksys firmware times out connections after 1 week so if you do a lot of torrenting, you've got a ton of connections getting tied up effectively locking up your router. With Tomato, DD-WRT, etc, you can set the time-out to a more reasonable 30 seconds so connections are quickly freed up for other tasks.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ah ok. I remember reading about it years ago but its been a long time. I guess I got my moneys worth out of that router. I actually just tried replacing it with an N router and the thing just sucked. I had to physically walk downstairs and reboot it like 2-3 times a day. For some reason the wireless would just quit. I got so sick of it I just returned it. Plugged old reliable in and voila instantly worked since.

I would love to see a GOOD N router than can do tomato or dd wrt. I really like tomato better myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts